Molasses consistency poop and one chick that can't walk

Aug 2, 2022
I have 22 "backyard" chicks, that are 21 days old... Definitely a chick math issue!
A few of them have sticky poop that is the consistency of molasses. It's been that way for about 2 weeks.
I feed them "Modesto Milling Organic, No Corn, No Soy Chick Starter & Grower Crumbles Poultry Feed".
I'm pretty sure it has platinum in it...
I also put a garlic clove in their water.
I also just noticed one Bielefelder hen can hardly walk...
She stays squatted to walk, and mostly tries to stay in a corner out of the way.
She does have strength, because when I took her out of the brooder, she fought to get away. She also is good size.
I just remembered... This morning I put their water, which is in a mason jar, on a stand, and it fell off.
I hope it didn't fall on her.
I surely hope it's nothing serious... I lost a Buff Orpington hen about 2 weeks ago.

Last edited:
Hello! Can you crush a b complex vitamin into a raw yolk and offer it to her. Sounds like a nutrient deficiency. What's the nutritient content in the food? Have you used it before?
Can you post pictures of the poop?
I hope the water jar didn't fall on her today... She almost acts injured. I will try giving her some egg yolk... I don't have any vitamins.

Ingredients​

Organic Peas, Organic Sesame Meal, Organic Milo, Organic Canola Meal, Organic Wheat, Organic Barley, Ground Limestone, Monocalcium Phosphate, Organic Flaxseed, Organic Kelp, Hydrated Sodium Calcium Aluminosilicate, Diatomaceous Earth, Sodium Aluminosilicate, Salt, DL-Methionine, Choline Chloride, Organic Flavors(Garlic, Horseradish, Anise Oil, Juniper Berry Oil), Hydrolyzed Yeast, Ferrous Sulfate, Manganese Oxide, Zinc Oxide, Niacin Supplement, Copper Sulfate, Sodium Selenite, d-alpha Tocopheryl Acetate, Riboflavin Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin A Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Dried Talaromyces Versatilis Fermentation Product, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Menadione Nicotinamide Bisulfite, Ethylenediamine Dihydriodide, Folic Acid, Biotin.

Guaranteed Analysis​

Crude Protein22.0% min
Lysine0.75% min
Methionine0.49% min
Crude Fat4.6% min
Crude Fiber5.8% max
Ash8.8% max
Calcium1.2% min
Calcium1.8% max
Phosphorus0.75% min
Salt0.36% min
Salt0.44% max
Sodium0.16% min
Sodium0.22% max

Attachments

• Molasses poop.jpg
    Molasses poop.jpg
    306.6 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
I also just noticed one Bielefelder hen can hardly walk...
She stays squatted to walk, and mostly tries to stay in a corner out of the way.
She does have strength, because when I took her out of the brooder, she fought to get away. She also is good size.
I just remembered... This morning I put their water, which is in a mason jar, on a stand, and it fell off.
I hope it didn't fall on her.

She almost acts injured
The poop is cecal poop. Do you see this ALL the time or every once in while?

Provide grit (crushed granite) free choice with a feed that is whole like that.

A video of the chick that is acting off may be helpful. If the waterer fell on her, then her behavior may be due to injury.

She does act injured... and just started acting that way today, after the waterer/mason jar fell over.
I didn't see it, but that could be a big possibility.

The poop is cecal poop. Do you see this ALL the time or every once in while?

Provide grit (crushed granite) free choice with a feed that is whole like that.

A video of the chick that is acting off may be helpful. If the waterer fell on her, then her behavior may be due to injury.
That's a relief to know!
It's every day. There is more of the regular poop, but there is always cecal poop too.
I just put in the brooder a sand bath, and I see them pecking the grit out of it...
I always add water to their food... It's not wet, just moist. Maybe that has a bearing on it...

That's a relief to know!
It's every day. There is more of the regular poop, but there is always cecal poop too.
I just put in the brooder a sand bath, and I see them pecking the grit out of it...
I always add water to their food... It's not wet, just moist. Maybe that has a bearing on it...
Cecal poop comes from the Cecum. It's normal. You will see poop like that about once out of every 8-10 "normal" formed poops. Cecal poop can be a variety of colors from very light to very dark, it's stinky and sticky.

I'd provide crushed granite for them. They *might* find suitable grit in sand, but grit is pretty cheap and a bag will last for a few years.

Back
Top Bottom