Mold on eggshells. Why?

lifthiminsong

Songster
7 Years
Aug 9, 2012
I do not clean my eggs after Gathering them. I simply keep them in cardboard cartons on the kitchen counter until ready to use them.
Today, when I went to use some eggs, there was mold growing on two or three of them.
Does anyone have an idea as to why this would be and how I could prevent it? Also, do you think they're safe to eat? In my five years of having chickens, I have not experienced this.

There must be too much moisture/humidity where you're storing them. Even though you have done this for years, sometimes environmental changes (weather, difference in house heating/cooling, etc.) could be the problem. It's possible the eggs may not be quite dry when you store them as well.

You may want to change out your box and location, provide more air circulation or consider storing them in the fridge until you can figure out a solution.

As far as eating them....personally I would throw them out, but that's just me.

http://www.thepoultrysite.com/publications/1/egg-quality-handbook/27/fungus-or-mildew-on-shells/

I do not clean my eggs after Gathering them. I simply keep them in cardboard cartons on the kitchen counter until ready to use them.
Today, when I went to use some eggs, there was mold growing on two or three of them.
Does anyone have an idea as to why this would be and how I could prevent it? Also, do you think they're safe to eat? In my five years of having chickens, I have not experienced this.
I was storing my extra eggs in a bucket in one of my chest freezers that is not in use right now. It's not turned on. Just setting the eggs in a bucket down in the chest. But, I did not use them for a few weeks and when I went to get them out they were slightly moldy/mildewy on the shells. I cracked a few open to check them out and the yolks on the first couple broke immediately the third one was stuck to the shell and somewhat guey. So, all in all, I threw them all out. Decided they weren't getting enough air circulation in that chest. So, going forward, I'll probably just set the bucket on top of the chest until I use them. 😉

Back
Top Bottom