Molt as a result of Fox Attack?

AllChookUp

Will Shut Up for Chocolate
11 Years
May 7, 2008
Frozen Lake, MN
Happy Friday, Y'all!

A couple of weeks ago, I lost two of my hens to a fox attack while they were out ranging. One other hen, a BO, was injured, but is recovering nicely. Others were roughed-up trying to get away. Thank God for an alert nieghbor who ran to the rescue and frightened the fox away. The hens have been in the coop and run since then.

I now have a laying flock of 8. Before the attack, I was getting around an egg a day from each of the hens, maybe every other day. Around 6-8 total per day.

Immediately after the attack, egg-laying stopped. I might get one egg total every other day. I've also noticed they are losing smaller feathers.

I did include electrolytes in their water for a few days after the attack, and have been giving them treats as much as possible (oatmeal, chopped-up hard-boiled eggs, etc.)

Being the weather here hasn't been hot yet, I wasn't expecting a molt so early in the summer. Can the fright of an attack send the chickens into a molt? If so, is there anything I can do?

I don't know if this will help - but last year I had a coyote jump over my 8 foot fence and went after the chickens. It was not successful in killing anyone as my husband was there to scare it off right away, but it did get a lot of feathers from my EE. She was a great layer, and after that happened, she did not lay for 2 maybe 3 months. The others continued to lay however. I just figured it scared the ovaries right out of her for awhile
hu.gif
. She has never been through an official molt since then...but it took awile for her feathers to grow back.

Back
Top Bottom