Molt Question - Chick Starter Question

hkeibard

Songster
Oct 13, 2020
Jacksonville, FL
Hi -

My first flock is 11 months old. They will be one year at the end of October.
I have one Welsummer that appears to be molting ... hard! The poor thing looks dreadful.
I have two questions:

1. Is a hard molt normal for this age? Most references to an adult molt I have read indicate the hens are usually over one year in age.
2. Can I supplement with some medicated chick starter for a boost in protein? I picked up a small bag today to make some morning porridge but didn't realize until I got home that it was MEDICATED.

As always, any help or suggestions appreciated!

Hi -

I have one Welsummer that appears to be molting ... hard! The poor thing looks dreadful.
I have two questions:

1. Is a hard molt normal for this age? Most references to an adult molt I have read indicate the hens are usually over one year in age.
2. Can I supplement with some medicated chick starter for a boost in protein? I picked up a small bag today to make some morning porridge but didn't realize until I got home that it was MEDICATED.

She was a fall chick so she is due for her first adult molt.
I would return the bag of medicated starter.
Do you have an Aldi near you? If so, get several tins of sardines in water and offer her 1/4-1/3 of a tin of sardines three times a week. You can get them elsewhere but around here, they are cheapest at Aldi.
It seems to help.

Hi -

I have two questions:

I would take the medicated feed back as well and get non medicated starter higher the protein the better. As feathers are formed from mostly protein.

She was a fall chick so she is due for her first adult molt.
I would return the bag of medicated starter.
Do you have an Aldi near you? If so, get several tins of sardines in water and offer her 1/4-1/3 of a tin of sardines three times a week. You can get them elsewhere but around here, they are cheapest at Aldi.
It seems to help.
Thank you very much DobieLover!
I think I will return the medicated feed. Sardines sound like a great option. And I shop at Aldi weekly. I happen to have some canned tuna right now. Might that be ok as well?

Back
Top Bottom