Molting and Fish Food Pellets???

ccat1

Chirping
Sep 3, 2015
A friend recently said a Molting hen can be brought out of it, or the molting process lessened by feeding the hens fish pellets. She said they have Koi, and feed fish pellets.
I was wondering if anyone has done this?
I had a blue copper maran molt for 2-3 weeks, but has seemed to stop.
Just wondering.
thanks, ccat1

You can't bring a bird "out" of it molt. A molt can be triggered but once it's started you can't prevent or stop it.

I imagine fish food pellets are just a high protein mixture of meat or plant meals. No different than any other high protein food. It is recommended you supplement molting hens with high protein feeds or switch them to a grower for the duration of the molt, in the interest of the hen's health. I don't know that I trust the ingredients in a fish feed - I would recommend ground beef or scrambled eggs as an alternative protein booster.

I feed Flock Raiser, 20% protein, to all my birds all year, with oyster shell on the side for the laying hens. No problems with the cocks, young birds, or molting hens. Fish food is great for fish, and varies hugely in ingredients, quality, and % of anything. Mary

You can't bring a bird "out" of it molt. A molt can be triggered but once it's started you can't prevent or stop it.

I imagine fish food pellets are just a high protein mixture of meat or plant meals. No different than any other high protein food. It is recommended you supplement molting hens with high protein feeds or switch them to a grower for the duration of the molt, in the interest of the hen's health. I don't know that I trust the ingredients in a fish feed - I would recommend ground beef or scrambled eggs as an alternative protein booster.
Ditto Dat^^^^

I also feed a 20% flock raiser type feed full time......
.....with oyster shell/chicken egg shell mix in a separate container always available.

Back
Top Bottom