Molting chicken?

Okay, I went out to get the video (uploading now) and give them some BOSS and I realized some things while I was out there.

First of all, she is either VERY low on the pecking order or VERY skittish or both. I've noticed one of the Orpingtons and her hang on the outskirts but the Orpington shoves her way back in to get food before she's chased off again. Bunny (the EE) is very hesitant and eventually cautiously makes her way in.

Second thing I've realized is the others are a lot more mean than I recall.

But maybe that's because it was a treat they haven't gotten since they were chicks and I had one bowl? With bread and other food she comes running and shoves in so maybe she was partly nervous cause she didn't know what it was?

But anyway, I tried multiple ways to get her closer, including hand feeding her while the others ate from the other bowl but they all wanted what was in my hand instead.

Eventually I just dumped it all in different places.

But anyway, May, my Barred Rock, kept chasing her away whenever she tried to get to the bowl. Of course Bunny, being skittish, took off whenever she even looked at her basically but May did chase too. One time she chased her off and poor Bunny panicked and squawked and took off under the coop. Bunny's panic sent the others into a panic too but they went right back to the food. But then when i was trying to hand feed just Bunny, May kept coming over and they would eat together for a little bit, with Bunny obviously nervous, then May chased her off pretty mean so I just tossed it on the ground.

Then I saw one of the Australorps just chase her and yank a feather out on her back. I'm not sure why, I think she had a sunflower seed or something.

But seeing that feather float off I'm realizing that maybe she IS being bullied OR if she is molting maybe she is molting AND being bullied?

But it seems like it could have been just from the treats? I don't think they normally do that but I could be wrong.

If she is being bullied and I'm so oblivious I never noticed, I'm gonna feel really bad I let it go on so long. I think we really need to get that coop finished or free range more because I'm not sure there's many places to get away in the current run.

Here are the videos, a minute or less each, and 2 pictures I was able to get.

The pics are more of her back, her neck shows well in the vids

Last edited:
You might be on the right track with molting or bulling but I just wanted to mention lice, in case that is something you hadn't thought of. I she were my hen, I would catch her (fishing nets work great for this) and give her a good look over.

You might be on the right track with molting or bulling but I just wanted to mention lice, in case that is something you hadn't thought of. I she were my hen, I would catch her (fishing nets work great for this) and give her a good look over.

Thanks, that's definitely a possibility too. A couple of the chickens I've tried to look over vents and under wings for mites or lice or whatever but I couldn't see any but of course they don't let me look too long and I hadn't thought of doing that with her. I will definitely catch her. Hadn't thought of a fishing net. Was thinking either a towel or now maybe the net. My problem is I can usually catch her fine, sometimes with a bit more effort, but then she manages to get away. She's flighty and flaps until she's free, my others just settle down or barely try, she's desperate to get loose. Yesterday I got a wing to the face.

When I handle my hens I hold their wings to their body so they can't flap. It won't take long to check for lice. If she had them bad enough to cause feather loss, you would see them everywhere. There is some forms of mites that are on the chickens only at night. To check for those you rub a paper towel under the roost bar to check for blood. Or shine a flashlight on their faces and see if you can see any.

When I handle my hens I hold their wings to their body so they can't flap. It won't take long to check for lice. If she had them bad enough to cause feather loss, you would see them everywhere. There is some forms of mites that are on the chickens only at night. To check for those you rub a paper towel under the roost bar to check for blood. Or shine a flashlight on their faces and see if you can see any.

I try that but she is strong and flaps free anyway.

She does sound very flighty! Silly hen:) good luck! I hope you can figure out what's going on!

She sure is! But the funny thing is she seems like she wants to come up to me and when she's free ranging she often will come up to me and stay away from the others. And I can better sneak her treats without the others mobbing her. They seem to keep chasing her away.

Anyway, I just went out to give them some more BOSS & try to look at her. Well first it took forever to even let her have some and second it took forever to catch her due to the set up of my run. Well I finally did after like 3 tries and locked her in the coop to give her BOSS. She didn't want any and got loose. Finally caught her again and was able to let me hold her, she tried getting loose but i footballed her/held tighter. She did the only thing she could, which is turn her head and be uncooperative about letting me look at her neck LOL but I finally did, looked at both sides. I couldn't see anything move around which I assume is good? But it seemed like down and broken off shafts????? Thought maybe I saw a couple new ones and blue ones but idk. Idk if the rest are actually broken off or new?

Also when I was trying to catch her (and did touch her a few times) LOTS of feathers came off.

Any ideas?

Somewhat update I guess in the post above.

When they pull them it kinda makes sense they'd just quick grab her as she's running and potentially leave half shafts or are those just new feathers growing in?

Back
Top Bottom