Molting hen with crop issues

Oh god @Winchikn that sounds terrible, I’m so sorry to hear this news.

I don’t know much about Mareks unfortunately and I don’t think I’m the right person to answer your questions… I have high morbidity in my own flock due to lead toxicity from contaminated soil, so I can at least empathise with how hard it is when you are confronted with something chronic and widespread.

I can also appreciate that this might be the end of chicken keeping for you. In some way, they are the most tragic pets. They are so full of character but there is just so much that can go wrong.

I know that vaccinations can help but are not 100% proof. Sounds like you do an excellent job with your chickens and this is a “do your best in a bad situation” kind of thing.

Sending love and hugs and I hope you’re able to give your birds the supportive care they need or make that hard decision if necessary xxx
Bless you. I needed a virtual hug from someone who understands. They really are tragic pets and I am so sorry for your ongoing issues.

We will walk the path that needs walking. Hard to let go of my dreams of letting the whole flock age out with me on the farm. Sometimes things just don't go the way we hope...

I'm sorry that you may be dealing with Marek's.
If possible, it's a good idea to get confirmation testing just to be sure Marek's is the reason for the symptoms you have notice.

Though heartbreaking, Marek's is not always a death sentence and most people manage symptoms as they arise. If they have a really sick bird, then they may cull that particular one.
Marek's lives in the environment for a long time and is spread through dust, dander, feathers, etc. and the vaccine does not prevent infection from the virus, just helps reduce the formation of tumors.

Here's a couple of good articles if you haven't seen them yet.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...-i-learned-to-deal-with-mareks-disease.76944/
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/the-great-big-giant-mareks-disease-faq.66077/

I'm sorry that you may be dealing with Marek's.
If possible, it's a good idea to get confirmation testing just to be sure Marek's is the reason for the symptoms you have notice.

Though heartbreaking, Marek's is not always a death sentence and most people manage symptoms as they arise. If they have a really sick bird, then they may cull that particular one.
Marek's lives in the environment for a long time and is spread through dust, dander, feathers, etc. and the vaccine does not prevent infection from the virus, just helps reduce the formation of tumors.

Here's a couple of good articles if you haven't seen them yet.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...-i-learned-to-deal-with-mareks-disease.76944/
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/the-great-big-giant-mareks-disease-faq.66077/
Thank you so much. I started a new Mareks post and linked this one there, but forgot to link that one here:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/suspected-mareks.1604321/#post-27310976

My apologies for the duplication. I'm not very skilled with these forums.

I had found the 'great big' article on my own and Coach723 sent me the link to the 'living with mareks' one. Both are extremely helpful so thank you for linking them here.

The little hen who prompted this thread was not showing any neurological (or other) symptoms today, which was a relief. I know I need to test at some point but I have a small (and beloved) flock and don't think I'm at the cull point yet for any of them, given they all have quite a bit of zest for life.

I hope that most of them might see another spring but that's a long ways off. Today, I was simply grateful for the bit of sun that made it through the clouds and seemed to lift the whole flock's spirits, and the rays of sunshine and hope that these Mareks posts provided for my heavy heart. 🌞❤️

An update 2 months later…

This little hen stopped showing neurological symptoms and - I hate to count my chickens, as it were - but she seems to have recovered and came back into lay just before Christmas!

One other hen who was hit quite hard with respiratory symptoms during molt this fall has also come back into lay, at the ripening age of 4.5.

I’m prepared for more symptoms to reappear and for molt to be a rollercoaster again next fall, but am counting my blessings for the time being.

❤️❤️❤️

Another month later, this hen is still acting like a pretty healthy little chicken and laying on and off (and most of the rest of my little flock has come back into lay - amazing given they are aging and clearly battled some kind of viruses last year!).

Her eggs always have an elliptical blemish on them and I'm only getting one every 3-4 days, but I'm so glad I didn't cull her!

Another month later, this hen is still acting like a pretty healthy little chicken and laying on and off (and most of the rest of my little flock has come back into lay - amazing given they are aging and clearly battled some kind of viruses last year!).

Her eggs always have an elliptical blemish on them and I'm only getting one every 3-4 days, but I'm so glad I didn't cull her!
So good to hear. Good work

Back
Top Bottom