MOLTING IN JANUARY?????????

NewChickMother

Hatching
7 Years
Jun 8, 2012
Hi there everyone. I am new to chickens, and am unsure what to think of this. I have a 9 month old Partridge Cochin that is suddenly dropping feathers by the truck load (no apparent pattern that is described with molting--seems generalized). She lives with 31 other hens (many different breeds) in a large (12X16) coop and is free choice fed an organic 20% layer food, along with regular food scraps. I am unsure of her current laying status--I haven't caught her in a nest box recently but with 32 hens, I could be missing it. I am averaging 15 eggs/day which I thought was pretty good for January. She is looking very scruffy and there are a few bare spots on her neck and body. I could make a pillow with the feathers she has dropped. She seems fine otherwise--eating/drinking and does not seem lethargic. Any thoughts are welcome--can a chicken molt in the middle of winter??? Thanks so much for any replies.

I too have one hen that seems to be molting now. I'm in southern California and we've had some variable weather lately, not sure if that would do it. I always thought molting was triggered by changing day lengths. I've never experienced this before though so I'm not much help.

Back
Top Bottom