Molting in winter

They're not feathering their nests. There is no sign of feathers anywhere. I'll try the calcium supplements. I can't help thinking that they should've had a rest from laying at some point in the winter. Obviously we've been very grateful for the eggs, but it seems a bit hard on the girls if their systems don't get a rest at all.

They're not feathering their nests. There is no sign of feathers anywhere. I'll try the calcium supplements. I can't help thinking that they should've had a rest from laying at some point in the winter. Obviously we've been very grateful for the eggs, but it seems a bit hard on the girls if their systems don't get a rest at all.
I'm wondering ~ if they're eating the feathers, perhaps they need more protein? I'm pretty new to chickens, so I will tag someone who should be able to help. However ~ calcium is very important, and should always be made available to layers. So it will be good to add that.
They haven't stopped laying, even with the molting?

@Eggcessive

I would only offer layer feed and put out crushed oyster shell for them to take as they like. I wouldn’t give other calcium supplements. The feather loss shouldn’t be connected to calcium. If it isn’t molting or a mini-molt, it is probably feather picking.,

I would only offer layer feed and put out crushed oyster shell for them to take as they like. I wouldn’t give other calcium supplements. The feather loss shouldn’t be connected to calcium. If it isn’t molting or a mini-molt, it is probably feather picking.,
That's what I meant - oyster shell. Thank you for that correction

Back
Top Bottom