Molting Khakis

They usually molt twice a year.
Though lots of stress can cause them to randomly molt as well. Do you have predator issues or have you moved them and their shelter recently?

I don't know of a predator issue. I've had 2 hens disappear. One randomly disappears and shows back up a month or so later. Could the temperature change cause it? It was about the time we started getting into the 90's that they started molting again. We also added a couple of ducklings to the group. They're as big as the others now and all seem to get along fine. Maybe it is just their second molt. I didn't know they molted more than once a year.

Ok, So the one that disappears for a month and then shows up, sounds like shes nesting somewhere. If she shows up and doesn't have any babies, chances are they are taken/eaten by something. So I would look into that for sure.

Mine tend to molt 2-3 times per year. My muscovies are molting now and will likely molt again right before winter. My anconas are finishing a molt (it came late this year) and my welsh molted a few months ago. I would expect them to molt again in the fall/early winter

Back
Top Bottom