Molting/laying

I think I have some leftover grower feed to give them. I just wasn't sure if the snacks were enough protein. And, oddly, none of my chickens will touch the oyster shell. Maybe they just don't need it?

... Is grower feed more protein than layer? I give them black oil sunflower seeds as treats and meal worms and they free-range for a little bit every day, bu I think they may need a change in feed for the molt.
Grower is usually higher but not always. I've had grower as low as 16 (which I use now) and layer as high as 20.
Always get in the habit of reading feed ingredient labels. Regardless of the feed, the guaranteed analysis will state the protein %, including lysine and methionine, fat, fiber, calcium, phosphorus and salt. Your primary concerns are protein and calcium. Phosphorus is always balanced with the calcium.

The other reason to read the label before purchasing is to see when it was made. Some feed stores will carry feed till it sells. I've seen 6-8 month old feed. IMO, that's too old. Nutrients lose potency quickly, especially in ground grains.

I think I have some leftover grower feed to give them. I just wasn't sure if the snacks were enough protein. And, oddly, none of my chickens will touch the oyster shell. Maybe they just don't need it?
If they're getting enough calcium from the feed, they won't eat the OS but it's a good idea to keep it available anyway.
The mealworms are high in protein. If the BOSS is in the hull, it is lower than the chicken feed, if they're hulled, it's higher.

welcome-byc.gif

Welcome to BackYardChickens!!
big_smile.png
Grower feed is higher protein than layer, many of them contain about 18-20% protein while layer feed is more like 16-19%. You can certainly change feed if you would like, or you can simply give them protein supplements like mealworms, which in fact you are already doing! If you switch to grower feed, be sure you also provide oyster shell for supplementary calcium; they will need it when they start laying again!
Can you give them grower feed along with layer feed for more protein. One hen is molting and the others are not, but all in the same coop and run. Is it okay to have two containers of each food?

You can mix any type of feed. But adding a lower protein feed lowers the over all protein level. For instance, if you have a layer feed of 16% and a grower feed of 18%, mixing the two 50/50 will result in 17% protein.

You can add some gamebird food too. Get something with 24% or 26%. That will really up the protein. I like to offer up cooked ground turkey or beef a few times a week for the molters. They love the stuff and it is very high in protein, Vit B and amino acids, all of which they need so badly to get through a molt.

Welcome to BYC!
welcome-byc.gif
We're glad to have you here!
frow.gif

The reason that your chickens have slowed down their laying is because they molted. It takes them a while to recover fully from molting, even if they have started laying again. Another reason they have slowed down is because as they get older and as the days get shorter their bodies just don't produce as many eggs. Keep feeding your girls plenty of protein along with oyster shells (or another source of calcium) and good layer feed and seeds and they will lay to their maximum.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom