Molting or something else

HudsonValleyGirl

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jun 9, 2010
I would put up a picture but I left my camera in my classroom.

UM I just noticed that one of my little hens is kinda missing some neck and face feathers and she looks like a hot mess. She has a great appetite. No one else is molting. Could this be something other than molting. I clean my coop at once a week. and layer 2wice per week, and I check regulary for lice and other buggies. I put down DE in the run once per week and in my coop and on my roost. I do give them clean water daily, and I scrub their water rubber bowl out once per week with soap and water.

It is probably just molting but how can I make sure? I might add some sunflower seeds for some extra protein and see if that helps her out.

Thanks Janice

I have been using DE in my coop for the whole year now that I have had my chickens as a preventative. What else can I do if it is lice or mites. I do put DE on there rooste and I dust them 2 times per month.

I have two chickens in full molt! When the first one started a couple of weeks ago I thought that it couldn't possible be molt. But, yes it is.

Now the second one started last week! They are both Buttercups.

Mother Nature is quite surprising sometimes!
hide.gif

I am going through the same problem. I thought mine was stress from the winter. I too use DE in the coop faithfully. I have since day one.

The other day I found out my hens have mites. They are truly almost IMPOSSIBLE to spot. They are the teeniest tiniest little specks. You have to just spot one, wait and see if it moves. I must have looked a half dozen times before I finally spotted mine.

I read where you can take a white paper towel, rag or tissue and run it underneath your roost while your chickens are on them. Look for tiny specks and wait to see if they crawl! The next day I found them on my birds once I knew what I was looking for. If your birds are all dark feathered, I don't know how you would even see them at all.

I keep my coop cleaner than anyone else I personally know and I still got mites, in the dead of winter no less! It's frustrating.

Do some homework. There is a TON of information out there!

Back
Top Bottom