Molting? *pics

Mrs.H

Songster
9 Years
Mar 22, 2010
We got my only roo from a neighbor back in November. He said that he was about a year old. Well he started loosing his feathers I guess, he went from black feathers on his chest to white/grey fluff then bald. He looks horrible! Could this be molting? Started in about Dec. The 1st pic is from late December, 2nd pic is from March then last pic is from today. Even his tail feathers look horrible. Thanks

51905_002_-_copy_-_copy.jpg

51905_007_-_copy_9.jpg

51905_0081.jpg

Well how long does it take for his new feathers to come back?!

I dont know if hes molting...Is it fall or winter where you are at or cold? If he is molting, make sure to provide him extra protein for rapid and more beautiful feather growth. Good luck

Im in NC, so its warm/hot at this time. It started back in Dec/Jan, but hes been bald since like late March.

It looks to me as if one or more of the hens are feather picking. A bad habit that is hard to cure. Added protein or more time free ranging might help.

Looking at his skin, it looks really irritated. And, I don't see any pinfeathers. This looks more like a picking problem to me than molting. Usually with molting, yes, they look ratty, but you shouldn't see bare spots, at least not for more than a few days. I also wonder if he is self-picking, too, since he can reach this area. Have you checked for mites?

I'd up his protein, too. I feed my flock a 21% pellet. After they started looking really 'ratty' I switched to that and have been very pleased with the feathering.

Good luck!!!!

Ive done my best to look for mites, but my older ones wont let me pick them up. I have younger ones also with them that have been in there for a couple weeks now, and they do let me pick them up and have seen no sign of mites on them, which im assuming they would have gotten mites by now if theres been a problem. But maybe it is feather picking, b/c if it was moltng I probably would have seen the feather evidence
idunno.gif
Is there anything I can add to their current layer crumble that I just bought to add more protein for now?

Back
Top Bottom