Molting question

Bulldog6

In the Brooder
7 Years
Sep 16, 2012
I have 12 hens I have 3-4 who started molting in the middle of this past winter. They still do not have any feathers across their back. I am wondering if they were molting or are sick, or did they get frost bite ??? any help would be great. They do have a pink/ reddish skin with what appears to be feather starts but never gets any further..

I do have two roosters and one of them is REALLY aggressive with people and the hens so that could be it.

Lots of people make them what is called an apron or saddle here, sort of a cape. You can make your own using only scissors and scraps of polar fleece or sweatshirt material. Or you can buy them for a few dollars.
There are usually some for sale in our BUy Sell Trade forum. They protect the skin from sunburn as well as allow the feathers to regrow. I've had hens who wore them til the next molt, when all their lovely feathers returned.

These are the kind I use: It shows them with a hole for the tail but I just cut them off just above the tail, using onl the wings to hold them in place. It's a little tricky to get them over the wings, but really not bad once you get the hen calmed down in your lap. Occasionally one has pulled it off, but mostly they seem to ignore them.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/patterns-chicken-saddles

Back
Top Bottom