Molting Questions

Chickaroo!

Songster
12 Years
Dec 27, 2007
My black sex link is beginning to molt. She's missing a bunch of feathers on one side of her rump and her pretty tail feathers are ragged and few.

My questions are: Is it normal to molt this time of year? Should I expect any behavior changes in egg laying? Will her poos by any different?

It is normal for hens to molt this time of year - in fact I have a few that are in molt right now. My hens have quit laying while they molt, but I have heard of hens laying periodically during a molt. I highly doubt you will get eggs regularly. Make sure you feed your molting hen extra protien as molting is hard on them. As for the poop - I haven't noticed anything different.

Thanks Heidi. What do you feed your hen for extra protien? I'm thinking scrambled eggs?
She has stopped laying. She seems, however, to have a bit of loose poo. Maybe I should make her some brown rice?

For extra protien I feed egg or a handful of cat food. There's lots of controversy on cat food though, but I notice most people here feed some cat food. I also feed my chickens all my scrapes after dinner including pizza and lasagna. The pooh is nasty the next day, but oh well. Brown rice would be good - mine love it.

Thanks, again, Heidi! I certainly have lots of eggs to spare:) Guess scrambled eggs are on the menu for tomorrow's brunch and maybe rice for dinner!! LOL

Back
Top Bottom