Molting?

Coolbreeze89

Songster
6 Years
Apr 7, 2018
Central Texas
My sweet Dixie used to get picked on by other hens. I haven’t seen any harassment for a while, but her feathers still look so bad. Some of my other chickens are molting, but it’s more evenly distributed. Does this look concerning to anyone? She’s about 1.5 years old. Acting fine.

Attachments

• 8529BC7A-8531-4D72-A511-5A604CBC87D9.jpeg
    8529BC7A-8531-4D72-A511-5A604CBC87D9.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 26
if it is molting put them on nutrena feather fixer. it can be fed to both sexes with no problem as long as they're over 16 weeks .my birds just finished their molt on feather fixer and as usual their feathers are sublime. this is a great feed you can feed it all the time as long as the birds are over 16 weeks old .it's 21% if I remember correctly and I think they'll do good on it over the winter months Karen

Hi oldhen, getting ready to leave the pooltry world after 14 years .currently looking for someone who wants to rehome my flock of 8 light Sussex chickens .there's such good birds
.but so many people just want to turn them into coronations it's
very sad .hopefully I can find somebody who wants to keep them silver .change in my work schedule is just catching up with me K

Hi oldhen, getting ready to leave the pooltry world after 14 years .currently looking for someone who wants to rehome my flock of 8 light Sussex chickens .there's such good birds
.but so many people just want to turn them into coronations it's
very sad .hopefully I can find somebody who wants to keep them silver .change in my work schedule is just catching up with me K
Sorry to hear that. You gotta look out for yourself first.

if it is molting put them on nutrena feather fixer. it can be fed to both sexes with no problem as long as they're over 16 weeks .my birds just finished their molt on feather fixer and as usual their feathers are sublime. this is a great feed you can feed it all the time as long as the birds are over 16 weeks old .it's 21% if I remember correctly and I think they'll do good on it over the winter months Karen

Thanks. I’ll see what my local feed store carries!

@21hens-incharge

I used to have roosters, but I culled them a few months ago as I wasn’t going to hatch any more eggs (and some of the ladies’ backs were looking ragged!). This is the only hen whose wings and under-neck look like this.

Poor girl. :(
Often when "rooster worn" they won't regrow those feathers until fall molt.
:fl That she jolts soon.
I do see what looks like the starts of feathers on her.

Back
Top Bottom