Molting

Morgk

Songster
Mar 29, 2020
When does chickens molt. We are entering our cold weather in Wisconsin. And my one hen is loosing lots of feathers she is a year and half, beautiful black sexlink. I haven’t seen anybody pick on her and she isn’t bleeding. She still lays eggs and she runs like the wind for scraps and scratch grain, is this molting? Isn’t kinda late to molt

mine moult just at the end of our summer/going into Autumn, I.e. now. And sometimes at random times too, like when they've brooded a clutch, or been ill or upset, or under any sort of stress

luckily it passes and they have lovely brand new feathers to keep them warm over winter.

Of course my dog sheds her whole coat at the same time too. So with the fluff and down flying around, my house and garden could fill a quilt 🤣

I wish my Girls molted in October. They didn't start until December, 1 right after the other. Hopefully it's turn around time soon, as I haven't received eggs for a month now. They are all doing well, despite being late for the pillow party

Back
Top Bottom