Mom died by Hawk, left me nine orphan babies

Cardboard is one of the most unsafe materials to suggest when you are using a heat lamp, which could easily catch cardboard on fire and kill both you and your chicks.
I do have them in a cardboard box for now, but that’s all I have until I can find something different. Here’s what they look like now.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    335.3 KB · Views: 43
I have had the same problem with kittens. The other cats reject the babies. It's as if they are saying "Go home, your mama's worried". Given enough time, they do accept the orphans. With chicks, I don't know.

All you need is a large cardboard box, some newspaper, and a light. Since it is cold, you'll want them inside. If your garage is heated they can be there. I like using my office. I have used the garage, but I have in-floor heating.
I have them in a spare room right now, with a heat lamp, a soft, blanket, and in a cardboard box

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    333 KB · Views: 40
Oh my gosh, I'm so sorry! When they're crying are any hens interested in them?
No, I put my broody hen in with them and she pecked them so I removed her and put my other hen Flora ( faunas sister) which looks exactly like her and all the little birds started running to her thinking that was their mom, but it wasn’t, she also picked them up and started pecking and flinging them so I removed her as well

I had a little serama hen that looked like her. Poor mama and babies. I hope you can find someone that will take them in.
I have had the same problem with kittens. The other cats reject the babies. It's as if they are saying "Go home, your mama's worried". Given enough time, they do accept the orphans. With chicks, I don't know.

All you need is a large cardboard box, some newspaper, and a light. Since it is cold, you'll want them inside. If your garage is heated they can be there. I like using my office. I have used the garage, but I have in-floor heating.
I tried a few broody birds with them, but it was a no go. I’m going to try my other hen, mama ginger tomorrow and see if she’ll take care of them. I honestly don’t think so because she already has a 2 month old baby but she’s a great mother and very gentle so it’s worth a shot.

I have them in a spare room right now, with a heat lamp, a soft, blanket, and in a cardboard box
If they feel start feeling adventurous, they could hop out of the box and get lost, which would be tragic. Do you think you'll be able to get a large or something to make a safer and long-term brooder?

Also, do they have water in there?

If they feel start feeling adventurous, they could hop out of the box and get lost, which would be tragic. Do you think you'll be able to get a large or something to make a safer and long-term brooder?

Also, do they have water in there?
Yes they have food and water in the room with them. No I don’t think so it’s a small room, I’ll try and find a tote or something bigger, maybe I’ll borrow one from my mom

A bin is good, if you have one big enough. Washable. When they outgrow the box you can cover your floor and put a wall around. I used plastic bins, boxes, etc. Anything they can't hop over or knock down. If your floor is carpeted, this may cause a problem if they can't stand on it. My floors are laminate, so very washable, but I still covered it. You can also use a floor lamp outside of the box/floor area, which I think is safer. After all, they are in the house, not a pole shed. Some people use a brooder heater which is on the floor and considered much safer.

Back
Top Bottom