Mom of 2 Toddlers Dreaming of Raising Chickens

Hi!
welcome-byc.gif

I'm sure you will have a great time tackling chickens! My DH and I just started our little flock this spring, and we have learned so much from BYC. There are some really awesome people on here.

As far as salmonella goes, I'm not sure what to tell you, other than make sure your chickens are kept well and are clean. And of course, teach your children good hand-washing. For eye protection, would your children be willing to wear sunglasses around the chickens? This is what I always do, and I have so far had no trouble. My birds mostly ignore my face, they are much more interested in the yummy things that come out of my hands!

You should probably also do your research about chicken breeds, and try to get ones that will be quiet and docile around your children.

Good luck!

I will do some more research on the salmonella. Wearing sunglasses is a good idea also, researching chicken breeds to see which will be better around the kids. This is good advice. Thank you.

I have 24 chickens, some are too old some, some too young, and some are roosters, and I have 15 ducks with 4 of them drakes (males) and some too young, I always sell out of eggs, I take them out every other week to my clients excluding holiday weekends. (like the Friday of the Fourth of July).

I could charge more but I'm waiting for the food to go up, feed here is 16$ for 50# or I can drive 2 hours (about 100 miles (one way) or 1/3 tank (one way) at 3.20 a gallon) and get it for not quite half that (kinda sorta) with the table scraps and forage I give I go through one bag every 1-2 months.

If someone want's just duck eggs they are $0.50 each of $6.00 a doz, mixed (4 duck eggs / 8 chicken eggs) is $3.00 for established customers, 4.00 for new clients, and just chicken is $3.00 for everyone. (chicken eggs are $0.25).

I have spent up to $280 for an emergency bird vet for one of my girls, look into farm vets if you can- that was too much for something she knew what was wrong over the phone... (prolapsed oviduct with fly strike)

Oh, okay, thanks for the information on the eggs and feed. I should have mentioned that I live in the city and can only have 6 chickens and no roosters, or ducks. So look into farm vets, ok. I was wondering, do you vaccinate your birds?

I am also a stay at home mom (2.5) I have about 50 chickens who pay for themselfs or will be once everyone starts laying. I know that the start up is pretty expensive my 5 free chickens (3 years ago) cost me $200.00 for my hubby to build the new coop. I do not suggest going from 5 to 50 but you can start small.
I have seen free coops on craigslist. I would try there. You really do not need anything super fancy. Clean food and water and being safe from preditors at night. All my chickens are free range during the day and put up at night.
My son LOVES his chickens. He knows that babies come out of eggs and loves to hold and pet them. He also loves getting eggs with me every day.
Chickens are a joy and I know that I am chicken crazy but they make me and my son happy.
Good luck with your future chickens I know that you will love it!

Back
Top Bottom