Mom stepped on pipped egg!

angela0408

Songster
12 Years
May 30, 2009
Canada
i have an egg that just started to break through the shell and then mom stepped in it and it crushed. I see movement in side and some blood. Do I just leave it? Or help it out? Yikes! Any advice is appreciated.

If she meant the momma hen, how would she know?
You don't mess with a setting hen when hatching is imminent - or any time for that matter.
Messing with a hen and eggs is how these things happen.
If you aren't supposed to open an incubator during hatching because of losing humidity, the same applies to moving a hen off of eggs at the same time.
A hen sitting tight on eggs will retain humidity.
That's why they call it lockdown.
Keep hands off of setting hens, period.

she had one egg hatching last night so I tilted her up to see if everything was ok, one chick out and I saw the next one was cracked, yay. All good and onto next stage, so I put her down, then she got up and moved around like she normally does and then she stepped on the other hatching egg. I was unaware that you were suppose to put a rock or something on the hen to keep her from moving around.

Found some advice on an old thread. It’s still breathing and peeping every once in a while so all we can do is hope for the best. The only thing that wasn’t clear is if I should be putting a warm cloth/paper towel on or around it.

Attachments

• 61778525-C442-4D12-A3A6-BF25C2F1F072.jpeg
    61778525-C442-4D12-A3A6-BF25C2F1F072.jpeg
    196.2 KB · Views: 27
Are you talking about the crushed egg?
If so, you should keep it warm (96-100F) and in a humid environment.

Usually you don't have to put a rock on them. Usually you just sit on your hands and wait to count chicks.
Breaking a hen's concentration is how bad things happen.

Found some advice on an old thread. It’s still breathing and peeping every once in a while so all we can do is hope for the best. The only thing that wasn’t clear is if I should be putting a warm cloth/paper towel on or around it.
It's hard to tell from the pick, but is the yolk absorbed?

Since I don’t have an incubator, she’s under a heat lamp and I’m trying to obtain the correct temperature. Added a couple of hot wet paper towels for humidity. The last time I left things and didn’t check, the chick was dead, it appeared to be stuck in its membrane so I thought if only I had checked it would have been ok. Well, I guess there’s no right answer sometimes. Thanks for the help though. Appreciated!

Back
Top Bottom