Momma Chili and her adopted babies!

Rhodebar Lover

Brahma Fanatic
9 Years
Apr 5, 2015
Arrington, Tennessee USA
Long story short, the last couple of months have been pretty dreadful for my flock. From heatstroke, to one dropping dead and receiving an inconclusive autopsy to three different types of daytime predators, almost everything that could go wrong went wrong for my flock. The beginning of April, a pair of wandering Great Pyrenees managed to kill all but two of my chickens, sweet broody Chili and my charismatic 12+ pound rooster Cheeto.

I being at college at the time, rushed home to try and figure out what the best solution for Cheeto in particular. He was absolutely distraught and wouldn't want to even eat treats. He would begin to tidbit and realize his girls were gone and go silent. It was heartbreaking. Chili was at least broody at least her sake she wasn't lonely per say but that also meant that she didn't want anything to do with Cheeto so he was essentially alone.

I decided that rushing in chicks would be the best action because then Chili would start to get off the nest and raise them and then interact with Cheeto too. I didn't need many more chickens, just some for the sake of my remaining two so decided to order six from Greenfire Farms, two Production Cream Legbars pullets and four assorted rainbow egg layers to hatch in two days. (I picked as many as I could that were guaranteed pullet as I already had Cheeto but sadly almost all of their autosexing breeds were sold except these two.)

The very next day however we found Cheeto laying limp in the front yard. He seemed to be in shock but at least had no visible wounds but oddly would rarely raise his neck. We rushed poor Cheeto in the house and tried to get him to eat and drink which he seemed to really want to! He would raise his head for a bit and "talk" and then lower it back down. Sadly, it seemed to be more than shock which typically resolves itself gradually he started to show his pain as the adrenaline wore off but he still did try to eat and drink so I remained hopeful.

The very day the new chicks were hatching, I took Cheeto to the vet hoping for pain medication and suggestions for what seemed to be a sprained neck of sorts. Due to covid restrictions, they didn't allow me to wait in the room with him, but before I could even make it home, they called to say he had somehow survived a broken neck and had to be put down. 😭 Now I am 98% sure it was a fox who had been spotted near the coop the same day by a neighbor.

While absolutely terrible timing, the chicks arrived happy and healthy. For myself however, it was a bit difficult. After seeing a pet die and replacing them just days later, it really feels terrible. I love the babies to death, it's just hard because they will never be replacements for what is lost and even though they're a joy in themselves, knowing the circumstances of why I even own them in the first place is disheartening. The one thing that makes the situation a bit brighter is how happy Chili is now.

As a Brahma, she was a compulsive broody, even more-so than all my others. She always had a very gentle temperament despite having the grumpiest look due to having a beetle brow. She took to the babies instantly and has been a wonderful mother since. Sadly one chick died a couple days after arrival due to unknown causes and another died of a freak accident of strangulation from Chili's feathers. While very sad, these deaths were at least not connected and had no known prevention which is always "good" in my eyes.

Even after the two losses, due to sending extras I know have two Schijndelaars, three production Cream Legbars, two Black Copper Marans, one White Marans, and one Gold Deathlayer! They're now approaching four weeks old and are doing great! Super naughty and active little guys. I've always been a more dual-purpose/heavy breed person so it's very different raising some more active breeds. I thought I'd make a thread updating on how Chili is doing with the babies and their growth. Not the circumstance that I would have ever wanted or imagined myself getting new chicks in but I might as well celebrate the new life while honoring what was lost :)
Chili hours after meeting the babies
Week old babies
E7F47A57-F838-4B04-A9BB-8B78EA6EDB45.jpeg

9E003006-61BD-456E-913E-45E9113D8EB8.jpeg

Long story short, the last couple of months have been pretty dreadful for my flock. From heatstroke, to one dropping dead and receiving an inconclusive autopsy to three different types of daytime predators, almost everything that could go wrong went wrong for my flock. The beginning of April, a pair of wandering Great Pyrenees managed to kill all but two of my chickens, sweet broody Chili and my charismatic 12+ pound rooster Cheeto.

I being at college at the time, rushed home to try and figure out what the best solution for Cheeto in particular. He was absolutely distraught and wouldn't want to even eat treats. He would begin to tidbit and realize his girls were gone and go silent. It was heartbreaking. Chili was at least broody at least her sake she wasn't lonely per say but that also meant that she didn't want anything to do with Cheeto so he was essentially alone.

I decided that rushing in chicks would be the best action because then Chili would start to get off the nest and raise them and then interact with Cheeto too. I didn't need many more chickens, just some for the sake of my remaining two so decided to order six from Greenfire Farms, two Production Cream Legbars pullets and four assorted rainbow egg layers to hatch in two days. (I picked as many as I could that were guaranteed pullet as I already had Cheeto but sadly almost all of their autosexing breeds were sold except these two.)

The very next day however we found Cheeto laying limp in the front yard. He seemed to be in shock but at least had no visible wounds but oddly would rarely raise his neck. We rushed poor Cheeto in the house and tried to get him to eat and drink which he seemed to really want to! He would raise his head for a bit and "talk" and then lower it back down. Sadly, it seemed to be more than shock which typically resolves itself gradually he started to show his pain as the adrenaline wore off but he still did try to eat and drink so I remained hopeful.

The very day the new chicks were hatching, I took Cheeto to the vet hoping for pain medication and suggestions for what seemed to be a sprained neck of sorts. Due to covid restrictions, they didn't allow me to wait in the room with him, but before I could even make it home, they called to say he had somehow survived a broken neck and had to be put down. 😭 Now I am 98% sure it was a fox who had been spotted near the coop the same day by a neighbor.

While absolutely terrible timing, the chicks arrived happy and healthy. For myself however, it was a bit difficult. After seeing a pet die and replacing them just days later, it really feels terrible. I love the babies to death, it's just hard because they will never be replacements for what is lost and even though they're a joy in themselves, knowing the circumstances of why I even own them in the first place is disheartening. The one thing that makes the situation a bit brighter is how happy Chili is now.

As a Brahma, she was a compulsive broody, even more-so than all my others. She always had a very gentle temperament despite having the grumpiest look due to having a beetle brow. She took to the babies instantly and has been a wonderful mother since. Sadly one chick died a couple days after arrival due to unknown causes and another died of a freak accident of strangulation from Chili's feathers. While very sad, these deaths were at least not connected and had no known prevention which is always "good" in my eyes.

Even after the two losses, due to sending extras I know have two Schijndelaars, three production Cream Legbars, two Black Copper Marans, one White Marans, and one Gold Deathlayer! They're now approaching four weeks old and are doing great! Super naughty and active little guys. I've always been a more dual-purpose/heavy breed person so it's very different raising some more active breeds. I thought I'd make a thread updating on how Chili is doing with the babies and their growth. Not the circumstance that I would have ever wanted or imagined myself getting new chicks in but I might as well celebrate the new life while honoring what was lost :)
Week old babies
View attachment 3094651
View attachment 3094652
I am so very sorry for the loss, it must be though :hugs

But I hope the chicks grow healthy! :D

Week old babies
View attachment 3094651
View attachment 3094652
They're adorable! I'm so sorry about Cheeto and your other birds though. I know how tough it is to lose so many birds like that, and so quickly too. Those are awesome chicken breeds, I can't wait to see updates on them! Chili looks like she's being a great mama.

Thanks for all the kind words! The babies are doing great! Took them all outside today for the first time and Chili is doing great tidbitting and foraging for them. It's all fun and games though until I have to bring them in... Boy are the Legbars and Deathlayer flighty! I've been spoiled by my Brahmas who are typically so docile and easy handled. The Schijndelaars are surprisingly friendly and docile for such a light breed. I can't find too much information on them online so wasn't exactly sure what to expect but I really like their personality!
First Time Outside!

18B51F8C-66A4-4683-9C71-20390AF73B93.jpeg

15F34899-B737-4193-8802-2EE54A7735F8.jpeg

B942F029-30B4-4393-95B4-99883B01A620.jpeg

Thanks for all the kind words! The babies are doing great! Took them all outside today for the first time and Chili is doing great tidbitting and foraging for them. It's all fun and games though until I have to bring them in... Boy are the Legbars and Deathlayer flighty! I've been spoiled by my Brahmas who are typically so docile and easy handled. The Schijndelaars are surprisingly friendly and docile for such a light breed. I can't find too much information on them online so wasn't exactly sure what to expect but I really like their personality!
First Time Outside!

View attachment 3100372

View attachment 3100373

View attachment 3100375
:love :love

I wasn't around too much before the babies turned three weeks old so they were very timid. After spending hours a day with them, one of the Schijndelaars finally flew onto my lap a couple times and would settle and stay for a few minutes! Super exciting to see how far they're coming and that they weren't even raised by hand. Hopeful for a lap chicken 🤞
A9004CDF-3ED5-454B-A7A4-EBE95C177790.jpeg

I wasn't around too much before the babies turned three weeks old so they were very timid. After spending hours a day with them, one of the Schijndelaars finally flew onto my lap a couple times and would settle and stay for a few minutes! Super exciting to see how far they're coming and that they weren't even raised by hand. Hopeful for a lap chicken 🤞
View attachment 3105874
How come this works for everyone..... But not me?

Oh, @The-White-Elephant, it's not ONLY you -- I have my share of don't-touch-me birds, hand raised from chicks.

But, I am very happy for you, @Rhodebar Lover. And, your lap bird is so cute! You deserve some happy times!!
Oh, phew! Seems like every time i spend a LOT of time with a chick, they become very skittish. But the ones I didn’t spend time with, they become nice and sweet. Like the hen in my profile picture :D

Back
Top Bottom