Money poorly spent?

nathana1984

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jan 31, 2014
Chesapeake, VA
I recently bout a new home with a little land. I started becoming aware of how awful slaughterhouses are and made the decision to raise my own chickens for eggs and meat.

So i ordered a chicken coop from a company. I was curious as to what people with more experience thought of the coop i purchased.

editred by staff

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for all the answers. They were well thought out and exactly why new people should join a place like this read and ask questions before spending money. Again many thanks.

Just a thought...why don't you send it back and ask for a refund? Or, if it hasn't shipped yet you might be able to cancel the order. You may have to pay return shipping, but the fact that they're advertising that it holds WAY more hens than it actually does should be reason enough for them to refund your money. If it had been used then they probably wouldn't give you a refund, but if it's unopened and can be resold I don't know why they wouldn't.

I agree! It's false advertisement and any big ticket item like that surely comes with a refund policy. You might lose a little money on the deal in shipping but not as much as taking receipt on an inadequate poultry house situation, the cost of which could build you a massive coop if you were to build your own.

Bee, wouldn’t you love to go to Virginia to help set up a coop and show just how easy it can be? You can build one yourself but it takes time and some experience and the right tools really help. You can often get a decent building off of Craigslist for not much more than moving it yourself. You can get one of those prefab buildings from Lowe’s or Home Depot. They are kind of pricey but make a real nice walk-in coop.

A roost is simply a tree limb or a 2x4 hung across it at one end higher than the nests. Nests can be as complicated as you want to make them or they can be a cardboard box filled with straw. You cut out for a pop door and frame around it like you do for a window. Ventilation could be handled the same way or you could use roof or gable vents. There are all kinds of different ways to do these things but none of them have to be complicated unless you want them to be.

I can understand why people buy these coops online. They really are cute and in suburbia with neighbors cute can be important to maintain property values. It’s easy. Just buy it and maybe with some simple assembly it’s ready to go. They aren’t sure of what they are doing and assume the product will be suitable. On really rare occasions I’ve seen some that look like they are suitable, but usually for 1/3 to ½ of the number of chickens they say will fit. And people don’t have the experience to know what is really required.

Nathana1984, I’m sure you’re frustrated, but some of us get frustrated too when we see people being taken advantage of. It’s just not right.

Haha it would be awesome if you guys came to Virginia. I would open my house up for you guys and your help.

And bee whats stopping you from doing a youtube thing. Get enough viewers someone might give you that tv contract.

Cause I'm a fat, middle aged white hillbilly woman....not a bit marketable in the TV realm.
big_smile.png
Unless...of course...I were to guest star on Honey Boo Boo.

I agree ive tried to call but cant seem to get an answer. In order to send it back i have to have address. The package has arrived it still in slc, Utah which is near the company or distribution center. I know this cause tracking it was orginally picked up vineyard, Utah.

The situation just sucks and i wanted to stop the package there and send back so the shopping cost would be minimal. But cant seem to get response from company.

Well yea sorry bout the rant. Hopefully i hear from them soon. If not I'll take it at lesson learned. Thanks for all the help everyone
No rant at all, that is a lot of money.

Not that I am mean or hard to deal with, but sometimes you have to get pushy with these companies to get things done. I would start nice, but then if you don't get any satisfaction tell them you will go to every website where you can place an honest review of their misrepresented product and very poor customer service. As a frequent online shopper I rely heavily on reviews from other customers. If I even have an inkling of a bad product or even worse bad customer service I look elsewhere. I am also the first to provide a gleaming review for companies that I have had good experiences with.

Also, if you paid with VISA you may be able to dispute the purchase and get your money refunded that way. American Express does the same thing as well. You can dispute a charge if the product was misrepresented or defective in some way and the company will not cooperate. It is a more difficult way to go, but worth getting your 500 bucks back.

My local Lowes and HD each had a slightly damaged shed that was on sale for $248.00 (also included the optional floor kit) the one only had a small dent on the back about the size of a 50 cent piece, the other one had a few dings from a hail storm. Through them you can get a sub-contractor to come out deliver and install. Good Deal if you can afford one!

My local Lowes and HD each had a slightly damaged shed that was on sale for $248.00 (also included the optional floor kit) the one only had a small dent on the back about the size of a 50 cent piece, the other one had a few dings from a hail storm. Through them you can get a sub-contractor to come out deliver and install. Good Deal if you can afford one!
That is good advice there! I have been visiting my local Lowes and Home Depot regularly looking for scratch and dent clearance materials for my garden and coop:) I found 40 feet of 1/2 inch drip irrigation line Sunday night for $2!

Back
Top Bottom