Month old rooster in the pool

woolymammoth

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jul 3, 2014
I fouls one of my month old roosters floating in the pool. He was not under water but he was fighting it. I got him out and blow dried him now I have him under a heat lamp in the coop. He is a little lethargic but seems ok. Anything else I should do or just let time handle it. I've sat watch for about an hour and he is just under the heat lamp getting warm. And advice or suggestions would be appreciated.

Sounds like you got him just in time! I'd give him some more time to warm up and add some electrolytes to his water for the next few days.

Good luck!

Welcome to BYC. I think you are doing everything right. Older chickens can swim, since I have seen 2 of mine swim across my pond when I tried to catch them before. I plucked a week old out of a shallow water bowl once that sounded similar to yours, and it did fine. I'm so glad you found him when you did.

We just found one of our 3 month old chickens in horses water trough we have dried her off and she had a lot I water run out of her mouth but has pooped anything else we should do!

We just found one of our 3 month old chickens in horses water trough we have dried her off and she had a lot I water run out of her mouth but has pooped anything else we should do!
Dry the chicken off well with a towel or a blow dryer, then make sure it is in a warm place. If it is lethargic, you might try to get it to drink some electrolyte water. Sorry about your chicken, but I'm glad you saved it. Here is a similar thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/705757/saved-chick-from-near-drowning-today

Back
Top Bottom