More Polish Colour genetics questions. Sex-linked?

Somewhere_In_The_Clouds

🎶 Broken turns to Beautiful 🎶
Premium Feather Member
Nov 12, 2022
Australia
These chickens don't belong to me so I've never bothered learning the genetics but we need to start sexing the chicks and I just get the feeling at least some of these are sex-linked.
Rooster is the one talked about in this thread, so his genetics are here.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/colour-id-please.1604727/
The hens he was bred to were all white crested, two Black and one Cuckoo. It's the cuckoo mainly I'm wondering about as all the cuckoo chicks look like cockerels to me... I don't know anything about cuckoo genetics though.
So if anyone can help me with the outcomes of those colour crosses I'd really appreciate it.

Cuckoo is caused by the barring gene, which is sexlinked. Hens can only pass barring to their sons, never to their daughters, while a rooster can pass the gene to both his sons and his daughters. Since your rooster does not appear to have a barring gene, and thus his daughters cannot inherit it, then only the males in that cross can inherit the gene from their mother.

In other words, yes, you are correct, the cuckoo chicks from this cross are all cockerels. 🙂

The Black hens should just make mostly black chicks with leakage, gold on the females and either gold or yellowish on the males depending on whether the mother has a gold or silver gene at that allele. This may or may not make a difference in sexing them as it may not show up until after you already know their sexes.

Back
Top Bottom