Best colour combinations in a Silkie flock for breeding??

kadechickens13

Hatching
Nov 6, 2023
Hello everyone, i am looking at starting a flock of silkies with the aim of selling the fertilised eggs and hatched chicks for a bit of enjoyment and a side hustle. I have had silkies before but never properly looked into the colour genetics when breeding etc.
What are your opinions on the best colour hens and particularly rooster in order to get the best variety of coloured chicks?
I would be looking at housing a flock of about 8 birds give or take a couple. Not fussed about pure breeding the main listed colours as such, just trying to get a variety of colours. Is there a certain coloured rooster which if bred to a different colour of each hen would produce a variety of chicks?
I say this as I have hatched before from buying eggs from farms and most often all the chicks end up being very similiar or limited in colours. It would be great to be able to get white, black, splash, paint and partridge (along with all the new combinations that come) from the one flock.
Cheers!

I have a flock of pet grade silkies that actually produce all the colors you mentioned. They do so because their colors are not pure. Meaning you see one color, but they have genes for other colors. Since we like the colors and are not concerned about perfection we have kept a variety of rooster and hen colors so the cycle continues. Many breeders do the opposite they will choose a color they want and look for the standard of the color for the birds they keep.

Black, blue, splash, white, and buff are the most common Silkie colors at hatcheries. White hatchery Silkies are a mystery, they are recessive white which hides any basecolor. But in future generations you could get white if you plan to have future generations. Buff would be interesting to have as a hen for fun but overwhelming number of chicks that would look like a black or blue chicken and a buff chicken smushed together would be too much if you keep a buff rooster.
I would recommend using a blue rooster. That way, when crossed with black, blue, and splash hens, you can produce both black, blue, and splash babies.

Back
Top Bottom