Silkies - help with colours

Jingles000

In the Brooder
Apr 29, 2023
Hi,

I am setting up a silkie pen and to start I am just having a mix of colours (these will be for pets, not show although all are good quality silkies). Eventually I will have a buff pen also but at the moment I will work with what I have.

My girls include the colours buff, black, blue and splash.

I have been offered a lovely black crested partridge rooster.

So my question is, what colours would I get with this roo over my girls?

I have tried to look it up but haven't been able to find the information.

Thanks so much :)

So I know some strudel about genetics, and I did some research on dominant genes, and you will not be guaranteed any particular possible combo of colors. You will probabley get some partridge, a fair amount of black, or semi black, maybe some blue, no splash, and maybe some buff.

Partridge is a recessive, so it won't show in the first generation.
But most silkies are of Partridge base, & carry at least one copy, hidden among whatever color they are. Sometimes they're full partridge, under black, or blue(Diluted black).

Buff X Partridge would yield more partridge, other colors you'll probably get, is Gold, Buff, or Red incomplete Columbian. Full Columbian is a possibility if one parent passed two genes.
The fun thing about partridge X Buff, is that partridge prevents self Buff, leaving the tail black on the bird. But if a bird is only split, E^Wh/e^b, can be Self Buff(No black in tail), or Full Wheaten birds can be.

Back
Top Bottom