More than I bargained for...

stilldeb

Songster
9 Years
May 28, 2010
NW Kentucky
So I received my order of FIVE Sultan chicks today from Purely Poultry - there was never any indication that I had to order more than that, and they accepted my order, verified it on the website and over the phone, oh and accidently gave me free shipping. We have always ordered from My Pet Chicken and gotten small orders (and sexed Bantams), so this was a total surprise. Anyway, I also got TEN "packing peanuts" of bantam Barred Rocks! I have an all Banty flock of 16 in two pens separated by age with two roos and really only wanted the five Sultans, especially since I have recently had surgery on BOTH arms and am a bit limited in what I can do right now.

I have tried to figure out what they are by feather length, spot on the head, color of the legs, etc., and I give up. Anybody have a "foolproof" method (besides the 'wait til it crows or lays an egg' method)? (although I figure they are probably all roos at this point)

They are very cute, and I understand that BRs are good egg layers, if we did end up with some pullets, just not what I was expecting and will not all fit in the nice little extra pen I had ready for my five Sultans and will have to have my DH build another pen if we end up keeping them.

Quote:
Wow that is a lot of extras!! I never guess after giving a friend a chicken and promising her it was a female, it was a couple months old. When she told me it was a boy I did not believe her. I was SO sure... I give up!!!

The whole "packing peanuts" thing seems very irresponsible to me, particularly if these shippers are not indicating during checkout that it is possible that you get these "packing peanuts" in your order. I know it's common practice in several hatcheries, but it really irks me that they just assume it's ok to send you live animals you didn't ask for without even notifying you first.

Quote:
x2 Any responsible person only orders the amount of chicks that they need and have room for and can care for properly. I read up and plan for months before making a purchase. Adding 10 more than you wanted and planned for is not fair to the buyer or the live, unwanted animal.

Thanks everyone for the replies. Going to try to figure out what I've got here. They are different from each other so I figure at least SOME of them are pullets. And I agree - just 'tossing in' ten extra chickens, twice as many as what I originally ordered, is a lot to assume that it is okay to do. And being a responsible person, and a chicken hoarder, I feel responsible to care for them or find homes for them or whatever.

I will go back to My Pet Chicken if I need more chicks next time.

deb g

Bantam Barred Rocks are one of my very favorite breeds. The hens make excellent Mother's and they a sweet and kind to be around. I bet you'll have no trouble at all rehoming them. I know I we lived closer - I'd be more than willing to take them off your hands.

Good luck with your new babies - and your health - I'll hold good thoughts.

Take Care,

Joni

That is bizarre. In my city if you are under 1 acre you're limited to 5 chickens. What if they send someone 'packing peanuts'? Yikes.

Well, I am a first time chicken owner but I bought from mypetchicken.com and while I am a one time customer so far, they were very professional and I am very, very pleased with my girls (3 BR and 3 RIR) and will certainly use them again and I highly recommend them.

As for the sexing issue. Everything I have read and seen says that sexing is really and art form for experienced people and even they will only promise 90% accuracy. I have seen hens with a comb and wattles that made her look just like a roo and I have heard many people talk about their hens who 'crow'. I know their are people who have claimed success using this method or that but without a LOT of experience I wouldn't even try.

One way or the other you'll find out what they are!

Just my opinion.

Quote:
Love My Pet Chicken! We order from them all the time. Only reason we didn't this time was they are not currently carrying Sultans. And yes, I have gotten an accidental Bantam roo from them and they not only refunded my money but replaced the chicken as well (he is wonderful and we love him). And every once in awhile I receive free product in the mail from them just as an appreciation gift. Stick with them, they are the best.

deb g

Back
Top Bottom