Mosquito Dunks

I've used dunks but not with my ducks water. I dump it out every night and fill the kennel one before I put them in at night. In the morning I dump the kennel one out and set it in the sun to dry and air out the kennel. I have the water tub siting on top of boards so air can get under it. Where I dump the "outside" water the evening sun is shining there so I give the ducks a little time to graze before I put them in. I use my dog's pool water to water the trees. I don't blame you though, I HATE mosquitoes! There's a spray I used last year just around the yard called Cutters and I know there are some organic yard/air sprays that are supposed to work for 8 hours. I didn't have ducks last year but I could spray and not worry about my dog or my grandkids being outside after I sprayed. I've tried herbs but this year it's so dry here that I'm losing most of my garden...I have things eating my basil and my dill even...it's just horrible! I even planted mint around my ducks' kennel and that's not keeping them mice away...thinking of getting a kitten and just letting it live with my ducks.

I've used dunks but not with my ducks water. I dump it out every night and fill the kennel one before I put them in at night. In the morning I dump the kennel one out and set it in the sun to dry and air out the kennel. I have the water tub siting on top of boards so air can get under it. Where I dump the "outside" water the evening sun is shining there so I give the ducks a little time to graze before I put them in. I use my dog's pool water to water the trees. I don't blame you though, I HATE mosquitoes! There's a spray I used last year just around the yard called Cutters and I know there are some organic yard/air sprays that are supposed to work for 8 hours. I didn't have ducks last year but I could spray and not worry about my dog or my grandkids being outside after I sprayed. I've tried herbs but this year it's so dry here that I'm losing most of my garden...I have things eating my basil and my dill even...it's just horrible! I even planted mint around my ducks' kennel and that's not keeping them mice away...thinking of getting a kitten and just letting it live with my ducks.

Great idea about the tub on boards! I will have to do that. My pool is so heavy to dump..I look ridiculous wrestling with it for ten minutes. I like your tub, does it have a plug? I need something easier to dump or drain.

No plug but what I do for now is that I have a pitcher and scoop water out into a bucket then take it to my flowers and water, then when it's easier I just dump it out. It takes some time but hey, it's exercise! lol I want to get a larger tub and put a drain in it and raise the tub to let the water run out into a garden. I have gotten so many great ideas off here but I'm just working on things a little at a time.

I bail out the kiddie pool till it is light enough to dump. The concrete mixing pans can be dumped without prebailing.

I have a little channel from the day pen to lower garden beds, so the fertile water goes to plants.

I have rain barrels that the ducks do not get into, and those have fish in them, either rosy red minnows or red comets (goldfish). I get feeder fish. They live on larvae and algae.

What would you think about using a Mosquito Dunk (maybe a small piece of one) in our chickens' 4 gallon water feeder? Does anyone know if this may harm the chickens? Does anyone know of a reference anywhere that would determine the amount of Mosquito Dunk to use per gallon?
I also read that you can put a little apple cider vinegar in their water. But I couldn't tell if it was effective or if they liked/disliked the flavor. :/
Thanks!

I keep mosquito dunks in both of the large tanks I water my horses out of. I fill the chicken's waterers by dipping water from the tank at the barn, the chickens are doing fine. I use tge same water to make their fermented feed.

Fly Predators work great. We use them because we have horses, rabbits and goats, along with the ducks. Arbico Organics is where we get ours. Just need to put them out in a spot that generates fly breeding, but not where ducks can eat them! We put them in our manure pile and in a few other places. Then keep ducks locked in pen for a day till they get established.

We were wondering if these were safe for our ducks and chickens. Good to know that other people are using them with no issues. The city gives them away, but you have to sign a list saying you got some.

Back
Top Bottom