Mosquito Experience

YankeeRider

Chirping
13 Years
Apr 6, 2009
North Central Connecticut
The are where my coop is is the lowest part of the property. That means wetlands nearby, and that means mosquitoes. They are especially bad this year, with all the summer rainfall we've had here in New England. Before getting the chicks, i was concerned that I might be unfair to them by confining them in an area where the mosquitos are so thick, especially at dawn and dusk.

I just I'd post that i see no reason for concern. The mosquitos stand little chance against my 15 little girls. Each mosquito that dares stalk them quickly becomes the prey, then a snack. It's a hoot to watch, although I'm so big compared to the girls that they can't protect me from the pests while watching!

Jerry

Don't you just hate those darn mosquitos? Its funny, that they can't help you, but sure as day, can take in a lot of 'em! Hope they get most, so you won't have to suffer to many bites.
fl.gif

The mosquitos can transmit fowl pox to the chickens. I have a 'natural' mosquito trap that is useless. Anyone know how to catch mosquitos?

I use "Misquito Beater". A product that I get from my local hardware store. It runs around $11-$15. You hook the bottle to the hose, turn it on, and water your lawn. Within one week...NO misquitoes. (or other pesty bugs, knats, jiggers, ect.) You should not spray flowers that are blooming though. It will kill the bees. Spray it where you have a problem with them. Easy to use. It says to reapply within a month, but I have never had to.

My youngest son has very bad reactions to bug bites. It makes his limphnodes go crazy, so we do this as a preventitive action.

Someone asked a guy at the lake if mosquitoes were a problem here. He answered,"Problem? No... it's our state bird!" We adjust. For the chickens, I screened their coop carefully. They seem to wiggle enough during the day to make a moving target.

Back
Top Bottom