Mosquito Spraying

Djgm

Songster
May 9, 2020
Northern NJ
So, I was just informed that on 7/31 they will be spraying for mosquitos in my town. I live in a small suburban area. The warning goes like this: We will be using Duet Adulticide and Vectobac WDG larvicide on July 31. This application will be performed between the hours of 4-6 AM. Please keep your windows closed and move your pets, pet food and water bowls, clothing, and children’s toys inside during the ULV application. During the time of application, please remain indoors with windows closed and keep window air conditioners on non-vent (closed to the outside air) and window fans turned off. If you must remain outdoors, avoid direct contact with the spray. This operation is weather dependent and may be postponed until the next day.

So my question is this, is it safe for my girls to be in their coop? I can't close the windows or vents on them....I plan to bring in their food and water buckets so they aren't exposed at least,and I will just put them back out the next morning. But is it safe for them? I don't think I have a spot in my house that's large enough for 7, 7 week old chicks...ughhhhhh. Sorry if this is in the wrong forum, I just didn't know where to put it. Logical thinking is telling me, it's no good, if we shouldn't be breathing it, they surely shouldn't be. On the other hand, it's not like they can tell the natural wildlife around here, hey, shoo a town or two over for a few hours....

It is pretty hard to keep chickens inside a coop with windows closed during summer heat. How long are you supposed to stay indoors yourselves? Do you have a basement or a cool garage to keep the chickens in for a day? I would just do the best I could. The warning is probably just a precaution or a liability issue because some people would be very upset for them not letting everyone know they are going to spray. People who work outdoors probably could not take the day off.

So, I was just informed that on 7/31 they will be spraying for mosquitos in my town. I live in a small suburban area. The warning goes like this: We will be using Duet Adulticide and Vectobac WDG larvicide on July 31. This application will be performed between the hours of 4-6 AM. Please keep your windows closed and move your pets, pet food and water bowls, clothing, and children’s toys inside during the ULV application. During the time of application, please remain indoors with windows closed and keep window air conditioners on non-vent (closed to the outside air) and window fans turned off. If you must remain outdoors, avoid direct contact with the spray. This operation is weather dependent and may be postponed until the next day.

So my question is this, is it safe for my girls to be in their coop? I can't close the windows or vents on them....I plan to bring in their food and water buckets so they aren't exposed at least,and I will just put them back out the next morning. But is it safe for them? I don't think I have a spot in my house that's large enough for 7, 7 week old chicks...ughhhhhh. Sorry if this is in the wrong forum, I just didn't know where to put it. Logical thinking is telling me, it's no good, if we shouldn't be breathing it, they surely shouldn't be. On the other hand, it's not like they can tell the natural wildlife around here, hey, shoo a town or two over for a few hours....
You could contact www.BeyondPesticides.org 202 543 5450 for information. I sadly left Florida because of the aerial and ground pesticiding, which my parents and I each had serious reactions to. I used to routinely pull my bucket herb garden inside during pesticiding and, had I had chicks, would have done the same for them. Just do the best you can. If it were me, I'd bring my chicks into the house, and also tape up or cover all openings to the coop so that chemicals wouldn't absorb into it. I'd also find a place away from the road for the coop, even if it was right next to the house, preferably to the back of the house. Make sense? Would that, or some version of it, be doable for you?

Back
Top Bottom