Most dangerous time for chickens & ducks?

I’m in California/ Northern Sierras, and every year in May the American white pelicans fly over the house heading east away from their winter habitat in the valley. I’m lucky that I’m right on the migration path that I can spot them every year.

This year they set out earlier than usual, around mid April. Typically I’ll see 3 to 5 larger flocks “10 - 20 birds” every other year, this year I saw only three smaller flocks numbering 10 and under, and towards the middle of May I saw two small groups actually flying west back towards the valley, most likely deciding to head for the coast.

We didn’t have bird flu reported over the winter so the only cause I can think of is the drought the state has been expieriencing. We also have had more land disappearing due to becoming housing developments in the valley. If other animals like predators were displaced into the remaining wildlife areas that could be another issue.
I think were going to see allot of changes in migration patterns as the climate changes. My property has been suffering from drought for 3 years now. Iv learned to adapt by spouting barley and wheat for the kidos every day. But they crave fresh green.. The wild birds Im sure are experiencing the same thing. And are adjusting. Thank you glad someone else noticed. I can say though I dont miss all the bird watchers who didnt come this year. Its like trying to drive through city park but your on a narrow dirt road with cars parked in the middle...

I think were going to see allot of changes in migration patterns as the climate changes. My property has been suffering from drought for 3 years now. Iv learned to adapt by spouting barley and wheat for the kidos every day. But they crave fresh green.. The wild birds Im sure are experiencing the same thing. And are adjusting. Thank you glad someone else noticed. I can say though I dont miss all the bird watchers who didnt come this year. Its like trying to drive through city park but your on a narrow dirt road with cars parked in the middle...
They’re changing even now. The age old migrate north in summer, south in winter is already getting disrupted. This spring I saw two flocks of sandhill cranes heading west along with a few bands of geese. There’s nothing for them in the valley this time of year normally, so I don’t know what they hope to find going in that direction, but it tells me that they’re desperate. 😔

Back
Top Bottom