Most of my hens are laying eggs that have thin, soft shells and break easily

healthnut

In the Brooder
Aug 27, 2022
Most of my hens are laying eggs that have thin, soft shells and break easily. My hens are mature, and have laid normal eggs in the past. Is there anything besides oyster shell that will help with this? I'm using an organic layer pellet and give them oyster shell on the side, but not regularly. Also, the size of the eggs have gotten smaller from all hens.

I have young ones (10-11 weeks) and wondering what I might do before this starts happening. When the chicks were younger our weather was 102 and very dry. But now it has cooled off to 90 daily and they are out in a larger coop eating everything. I want advice about starting OS/calcium and layer feed for the next few weeks or before/after they start producing. I see lots of comments about soft shelled eggs and want to prevent if possible.

Most new layers produce wonderfully sturdy shells, usually of a much higher quality than older layers. This thread represents an issue that is rare among new layers, and most likely has a number of different factors in play. If the OP comes back with more information, we may learn that diet and perhaps limited sunlight exposure are playing roles in these poor shells from new layers. There may be other environmental factors such as a contaminated water supply or a food source that is being over consumed that is preventing calcium absorption, for example spinach.

My suggestion to those with pullets approaching point of lay is not to be in a hurry to switch them to layer feed, but to continue to feed either chick starter or 20% protein all-flock feed for another year after they start to lay. This assures they will get enough protein for continued physical development as well as for producing good quality eggs.

In addition, make oyster shell available free choice as a calcium source and make sure the chickens are getting plenty of natural sunlight for a source of vitamin D which facilitates the uptake of calcium from the oyster shell.

I have young ones (10-11 weeks) and wondering what I might do before this starts happening. When the chicks were younger our weather was 102 and very dry. But now it has cooled off to 90 daily and they are out in a larger coop eating everything. I want advice about starting OS/calcium and layer feed for the next few weeks or before/after they start producing. I see lots of comments about soft shelled eggs and want to prevent if possible.
Hi there, hope you are enjoying BYC! :frow

Don't do it, they're way too young and feeding excess calcium long term to birds not in lay like juveniles, broody's, roosters, molting, etc can stunt growth, delay the onset of lay, cause gout and kidney issues including failure and death.. There is likely a genetic factor since not every bird will experience that, but it is a known concern. Stick with starter or grower until you see your first egg. Oyster shell can be made available on the side as you get closer. Please don't be fear mongered by this statement or by the worry of a soft egg.

New layer hiccups that can result in soft eggshells are usually caused by the system coming online and working out it's kinks.. not by lack of calcium. Don't diminish your protein content this soon as nutrition does effect ALL things health and immunity wise.

With daylight diminishing.. you're at least 6 weeks away before your first egg.. and likely longer than that depending on your breeds and lighting conditions. .

Most of my hens are laying eggs that have thin, soft shells and break easily. My hens are mature, and have laid normal eggs in the past. Is there anything besides oyster shell that will help with this? I'm using an organic layer pellet and give them oyster shell on the side, but not regularly. Also, the size of the eggs have gotten smaller from all hens.
Welcome to BYC! :frow

Make the OS available free choice all the time. Layer should technically have enough calcium but some heavy layers may require more.. my birds never used the OS back when that was my feed routine. Now, I serve oyster shell on the side of "flock raiser" full time (in addition to their egg shells).. and the difference in my flock is noticeable.. due to the higher level of protein but importantly amino acids.

Ever had a fecal float or done any worming?

You say mature hens.. how mature? with age.. egg quality diminishes.

These things can also be caused by hot weather or approaching molt.

Last edited:
Hi there, hope you are enjoying BYC! :frow

Don't do it, they're way too young and feeding excess calcium long term to birds not in lay like juveniles, broody's, roosters, molting, etc can stunt growth, delay the onset of lay, cause gout and kidney issues including failure and death.. There is likely a genetic factor since not every bird will experience that, but it is a known concern. Stick with starter or grower until you see your first egg. Oyster shell can be made available on the side as you get closer. Please don't be fear mongered by this statement or by the worry of a soft egg.

New layer hiccups that can result in soft eggshells are caused by the system coming online and working out it's kinks.. not by lack of calcium. Don't diminish your protein content this soon as nutrition does effect ALL things health and immunity wise.

With daylight diminishing.. you're at least 6 weeks away before your first egg.. and likely longer than that depending on your breeds and lighting conditions. .

Welcome to BYC! :frow

Make the OS available free choice all the time. Layer should technically have enough calcium but some heavy layers may require more.. my birds never used the OS back when that was my feed routine. Now, I serve oyster shell on the side of "flock raiser" full time (in addition to their egg shells).. and the difference in my flock is noticeable.. due to the higher level of protein but importantly amino acids.

Ever had a fecal float or done any worming?

You say mature hens.. how mature? with age.. egg quality diminishes.

These things can also be caused by hot weather or approaching molt.
Ok-you answered my question. Yes, I will wait till further down the line. I'm at 20% protein right now and feeding broccoli and cabbage, as treats. They are growing and seem happy. They interact and get exercise all day and good sunlight. So I will stop worrying and wait to see what happens. thank you so..........much. You put my mind at ease.

Most new layers produce wonderfully sturdy shells, usually of a much higher quality than older layers. This thread represents an issue that is rare among new layers, and most likely has a number of different factors in play. If the OP comes back with more information, we may learn that diet and perhaps limited sunlight exposure are playing roles in these poor shells from new layers. There may be other environmental factors such as a contaminated water supply or a food source that is being over consumed that is preventing calcium absorption, for example spinach.

My suggestion to those with pullets approaching point of lay is not to be in a hurry to switch them to layer feed, but to continue to feed either chick starter or 20% protein all-flock feed for another year after they start to lay. This assures they will get enough protein for continued physical development as well as for producing good quality eggs.

In addition, make oyster shell available free choice as a calcium source and make sure the chickens are getting plenty of natural sunlight for a source of vitamin D which facilitates the uptake of calcium from the oyster shell.
This is really helpful. I wasn't sure when to switch feeds or how OS to be introduce. My pullets are fine and healthy-good sunlight and active. They get 20% chicks starter since 1st week. Some broccoli and cabbage, as treats. I saw all these post and thought I better do something extra to prevent. Will do the OS- make some available. Thanks so much !!!

Back
Top Bottom