Mostly blind hen with other issues

TheResidentialFarm

In the Brooder
Jun 8, 2017
Hi All,

In March, I brought home 9 one-year old birds (8 hens and a rooster). When we picked the hens up, one had a bare back, but we were told that was just wear from the rooster. That hen has never been quite right.

She is the only one in our flock (now 26 hens) to lay her eggs on the floor of the coop. We've been through several rounds where it looks like she's growing back her feathers, but then she's suddenly bare again, with red angry skin. We dusted her for mites, sprayed her for mites, stripped and treated the coop for mites, and dewormed her twice. With 26 hens, rooster-wear should not be an issue anymore. We've never actually seen the rooster mount her.

We had suspected vision issues, but in the last month she's walked into our legs multiple times. We can wave a stick in front of one eye and get no reaction, only a slight reaction from the other side. She bumps into other hens and gets pecked. She casually steps off platforms and falls to the ground.

This Saturday, I went out to the coop around 11 am and she was still on the roost. Worried, we locked her in the duck house with private food and water, and she ate and drank a ton. She's been sleeping in the duck house on a temporary roost since. She spends her days locked in the duck house (it's very open and she can interface with the ducks) where no one can chase or peck her, but I feel bad that her life is sad. I'm also worried she won't be able to keep warm this winter while missing so many feathers.

Does this sound like symptoms of a larger disorder? Is there anything else we can do for her? Should we carry on as best we can or is it kindest (knowing that my husband would never go for an indoor chicken) to cull her before winter?

Any suggestions appreciated!

Last edited:
Coming from someone that had a blind rir hen id cull her as mine died a few days ago from being trapped in a food bin....now any deformities im culling at hatch its not worth the time to raise them for them to die anyways if it can't see it can't eat/drink without assistance

Sometimes putting them down is the kindest thing to do - especially if their quality of life isn't good. Chickens are social animals. I can't imagine that she's happy being locked up all day by herself, and it doesn't seem she does well with the flock.

I don't think she's happy either.... but truth be told, she spent a lot of time alone in the coop eating and hanging when she was with the flock. I thought she might become friends with the ducks, but she's scared of them so far. She is a very pathetic sight right now. Even if she regrows her feathers, I don't think she'd ever be able to integrate well with the flock.

How sad. :( We had to cull a Wyandotte recently who had deformed feet, never laid an egg (18 months old), and always acted sulky. And our broody hen died on the nest on day 21. Keeping chickens is a real emotional roller coaster.

I don't think she's happy either.... but truth be told, she spent a lot of time alone in the coop eating and hanging when she was with the flock. I thought she might become friends with the ducks, but she's scared of them so far. She is a very pathetic sight right now. Even if she regrows her feathers, I don't think she'd ever be able to integrate well with the flock.

How sad. :( We had to cull a Wyandotte recently who had deformed feet, never laid an egg (18 months old), and always acted sulky. And our broody hen died on the nest on day 21. Keeping chickens is a real emotional roller coaster.
This is so true. I have a 6 week old cockerel who is partial blind. He finds food and water fine, otherwise not sure if I could handle watching that. If he become totally blind, I have a hard decision to make.

Sounds like the most humane thing to do is put her down. Blind chickens can live a long, healthy life but it take a ton of special care.

This is so true. I have a 6 week old cockerel who is partial blind. He finds food and water fine, otherwise not sure if I could handle watching that. If he become totally blind, I have a hard decision to make.

I'm sorry you're in the same boat. Our blind-ish hen (we named her Ground Layer for obvious reasons) has always been able to find food, water, grit, and oyster shell, but I think when we enlarged our flock, so grew too timid to go after food and water for fear of being pecked. None of our birds are aggressive, but when she bumps into them they take it as an affront.

Sounds like the most humane thing to do is put her down. Blind chickens can live a long, healthy life but it take a ton of special care.

This is what I was thinking. If she's capable of regrowing her feathers and being a little less pathetic, we could potentially keep her healthy, but she might always be sad that she doesn't have chicken friends...

Hey, what if I got her a buff orpington as a friend and didn't keep them with the other hens? Aren't they supposed to be really nice birds?

Back
Top Bottom