Mother pecking!

Apr 10, 2019
Long story short: 2 hens who are sisters, and who have successfully raised two other clutches of birds, just shared nesting responsibilities. Sister #1 (Winken) went broody three days before sister #2 (Blinken). Both sisters have sat on the nest for the last three weeks and we have 14 beautiful babies. I noticed Blinken pecking at one of the chicks earlier today, but she stopped it when the baby ran under Winken, so I thought that she was just telling her to get in quick because I was in the coop. Later, I found a severely injured baby chick in the coop, and Winken didn’t even touch me or peck me when I picked the injured bird up, after repeatedly pecking me when I tried to get near her babies earlier. I thought it was, perhaps, mother nature taking care of business. I returned to the coop 10 minutes later to find Blinken standing over another severely head injured chick. I have taken Blinken out of the coop and put her with the rest of her flock, who seem to have welcomed her back with open arms. But Blinken keeps going up to the fencing in between the coop in the pen, which I have just covered so that she cannot see Winken and the babies inside, and she’s walking around all fluffed out and going up to the covered opening and clucking and clucking. I am not going to let her back near those babies, but I’m worried about this stressing Blinken who I took out of the pen, as well as Winken, who is left behind with all of the mothering duties. Winken seems to be doing just fine with all of the 12 babies. Could I have prevented this? It’s very hot here and muggy right now and it thundered all afternoon. Could those be factors? I’ve put a fan blowing into the coop and refresh water frequently, adding ice and ACV. BTW, Blinken went after the 2 babies who were yellow with black stripes only. I would appreciate any advice you could offer. Thank you, stay safe, Bea

Once the broodies bond with their chicks, they turn aggressive toward other chicks. They can recognize each chick by their voice, so they know exactly who the little imposters are. Your hen can still brood the chicks, but only the bonded ones. Watch to see who she lets under her, and who she doesn't. Alternatively, you could put them all under her tonight and hope they'll be bonded by morning. Or she could just be a crazy broody. Good luck.

I wondered if t
Once the broodies bond with their chicks, they turn aggressive toward other chicks. They can recognize each chick by their voice, so they know exactly who the little imposters are. Your hen can still brood the chicks, but only the bonded ones. Watch to see who she lets under her, and who she doesn't. Alternatively, you could put them all under her tonight and hope they'll be bonded by morning. Or she could just be a crazy broody. Good luck.
hat w

I wondered if that is what it might be. But now I’m too afraid to let her back with them because they’ve shared all the eggs and the babies since they hatched. I’m afraid she’ll kill more if I give her the wrong ones. Maybe if I go out and separate them after the babies crawl under the moms? I’m just so upset and afraid to lose more. But i hate taking her babies away, too.

I wondered if that is what it might be. But now I’m too afraid to let her back with them because they’ve shared all the eggs and the babies since they hatched. I’m afraid she’ll kill more if I give her the wrong ones. Maybe if I go out and separate them after the babies crawl under the moms? I’m just so upset and afraid to lose more. But i hate taking her babies away, too.
Don't worry. You can put them in with her, and immediately remove any chicks she acts aggressive towards. Assuming Winken will take them, you can transfer them to her. Otherwise, be ready to brood artificially, or you can try the night option.

94189C7D-83AD-4AE8-88D3-D6A9675A3CB2.jpeg

I’ve posted a picture of the brooding situation in my coop. One on top of the other! So I boiled and egg and put it into separate dishes and brought it in, hoping that a group of the chicks would go eat with one mother and a group of the chicks would go with with the other. No such luck, as Winken remained behind on a couple of eggs that haven’t hatched yet. This is how it goes: 1 brings them out to eat, and the other stays behind with anybody who doesn’t want to go, or to remain on the eggs. Any eggs that don’t hatch are coming out of the box this evening, but, as you can see, they are on top of each other. It’s impossible to see which chicks go where. Anyway, as soon as the yellow and black striped checks came out, BlinIt’s impossible to see which chicks go where. Anyway, as soon as the yellow and black striped chicks came out, Blinken Immediately started packing at one of them. So I have removed the two yellow and black striped chicks and will put them in a dog kennel to finish raising them. Hopefully, this solves the problem, and I’m so grateful for your great advice. Of course, the next question is, how do I get these other two birds safely back into the flight? I’ve never had this problem before. I know I have to put them immediately started packing at one of them. So I have removed the two yellow and black striped chicks and will put them in a dog kennel to finish raising them. Hopefully, this solves the problem, and I’m so grateful for your great advice. Of course, the next question is, how do I get these other two birds safely back into the flight? I’ve never had this problem before. I know I have to put them Inside the pen, inside a separate enclosure so that they can be seen and heard all day and all night by the other birds. Well inside the pen, inside a separate enclosure so that they can be seen and heard all day and all night by the other birds. Will Blinken go after them again, when they’re much larger birds?
94189C7D-83AD-4AE8-88D3-D6A9675A3CB2.jpeg

Wow! I should’ve read the post before I hit reply. I don’t know what’s going on with this spell correct and repetition of sentence on this phone! Sorry, I hope you can make sense of it.

View attachment 2204800

I’ve posted a picture of the brooding situation in my coop. One on top of the other! So I boiled and egg and put it into separate dishes and brought it in, hoping that a group of the chicks would go eat with one mother and a group of the chicks would go with with the other. No such luck, as Winken remained behind on a couple of eggs that haven’t hatched yet. This is how it goes: 1 brings them out to eat, and the other stays behind with anybody who doesn’t want to go, or to remain on the eggs. Any eggs that don’t hatch are coming out of the box this evening, but, as you can see, they are on top of each other. It’s impossible to see which chicks go where. Anyway, as soon as the yellow and black striped checks came out, Blinken Immediately started pecking at one of them. So I have removed the two yellow and black striped chicks and will put them in a dog kennel to finish raising them. Hopefully, this solves the problem, and I’m so grateful for your great advice. Of course, the next question is, how do I get these other two birds safely back into the flock? I’ve never had this problem before. I know I have to Inside the pen, inside a separate enclosure so that they can be seen and heard all day and all night by the other birds. Will Blinken go after them again, when they’re much larger birds? She is my dominant bird, even over the roosters.View attachment 2204800

View attachment 2204800

I’ve posted a picture of the brooding situation in my coop. One on top of the other! So I boiled and egg and put it into separate dishes and brought it in, hoping that a group of the chicks would go eat with one mother and a group of the chicks would go with with the other. No such luck, as Winken remained behind on a couple of eggs that haven’t hatched yet. This is how it goes: 1 brings them out to eat, and the other stays behind with anybody who doesn’t want to go, or to remain on the eggs. Any eggs that don’t hatch are coming out of the box this evening, but, as you can see, they are on top of each other. It’s impossible to see which chicks go where. Anyway, as soon as the yellow and black striped checks came out, BlinIt’s impossible to see which chicks go where. Anyway, as soon as the yellow and black striped chicks came out, Blinken Immediately started packing at one of them. So I have removed the two yellow and black striped chicks and will put them in a dog kennel to finish raising them. Hopefully, this solves the problem, and I’m so grateful for your great advice. Of course, the next question is, how do I get these other two birds safely back into the flight? I’ve never had this problem before. I know I have to put them immediately started packing at one of them. So I have removed the two yellow and black striped chicks and will put them in a dog kennel to finish raising them. Hopefully, this solves the problem, and I’m so grateful for your great advice. Of course, the next question is, how do I get these other two birds safely back into the flight? I’ve never had this problem before. I know I have to put them Inside the pen, inside a separate enclosure so that they can be seen and heard all day and all night by the other birds. Well inside the pen, inside a separate enclosure so that they can be seen and heard all day and all night by the other birds. Will Blinken go after them again, when they’re much larger birds? View attachment 2204800
Wait until the rest of the eggs either hatched or are removed. Pull the hens apart so you can see what you're doing. Put in all of the chicks, including the striped ones. If a chick is attacked, rather than removing it, put her with the other hen. Only remove if neither like it. Once a chick goes under a hen, try to keep it on that side. Once all of the chicks are accounted for by a hen, you will need to separate the two groups. Whenever you see the aggressive one pecking at a chick, put it with the other hen.
Your other option is to separate the chicks and hens. When nightfall comes, take the non-striped chicks that Blinken doesn't mind, and trap them under her for the night. Trap the rest of the chicks under the more open-minded Winken. After that night, separate both groups until the chicks are at least a few weeks old.
Beautiful hens, by the way.

Back
Top Bottom