Mottled Japanese Bantams

becky3086

Crested Crazy
11 Years
Oct 14, 2008
Thomson, GA
Ok, a while ago I hatched out 4 mottled Japanese bantams. Unfortunately 2 died after several weeks. However, I have a pair left, a roo and a hen. The roo, though, has turned out black, there is just one dot of white on one wing tip. What I am wanting to know is if I hatched eggs from them would I still get mottled chicks? I am thinking it will be fine but I just don't know.

ok, I'm not 100% sure but I think it should be fine. I just recently got japanese bantams, 1 black tail buff roo, 1 white black tail roo, 1 gray roo, 1 white hen, 4 mottled hens and 2 mottled babies. There were no mottled roos with this group and I still ended up with mottled babies so you're closer to mottled roo than me so I would think they'd be fine. Hope this helps, sorry not more positive on results.

they sould be ok. i just got a mottled bantam lol they're so cute!
DSCN0306-1.jpg

I went out there and looked at him again, he does have a few more small white dots on his wings, so I guess he is a mottled, just doesn't have much mottling.
big_smile.png

That chick doesn't look mottled. Mottled chicks hatch out in a sort of penguin pattern: black back with a white belly. As they featehr in they are mostly black with some white on the wings--mottles come in later. I would say your baby looks closer to a splash.

Quote:
We saw the parents of the chick in the above photo.. got'em from a farm. Daddy is gorgous! he's mottled, but has a lot more white in him than ones you see in pics. I hope ours are as pretty!
smile.png
I wish I had a photo of him. (I really wish they were splash.. I think they're beautiful!)

Last edited by a moderator:
If I am not mistaken, my mottled hatched both ways and I think I asked on the board about it and the person who sold them to me came on and said yes, they could be either way when they hatched.

gonzo&hispeeps :

Quote:
We saw the parents of the chick in the above photo.. got'em from a farm. Daddy is gorgous! he's mottled, but has a lot more white in him than ones you see in pics. I hope ours are as pretty!
smile.png
I wish I had a photo of him. (I really wish they were splash.. I think they're beautiful!)

the daddy was pretty
big_smile.png
lol i want my baby(the picture above) to be a splash tho..lol​

Back
Top Bottom