Mottled Java!!

I am just starting out here in Springfield, Oregon and ended up getting a mottled Java chick at the local Wilco feed store. Came home and found out how endangered they were, wish I'd gotten more! Here's a pick of "bean"

This is Abby. We hatched her last summer in an ice chest incubator my husband made. She is quite a character! Abby is not short for Abigail, it's short for abnormal! Lol! I told my husband we may have turned her a few extra times! She started laying at 5 1/2 months which was great but, she went broody at 6 mos. and when she was about 8 mos. I think it has more to do with being the bottom of the pecking order. Not for long! We are hatching eggs right now, as I type! When we found out how rare they are we decided we would try to do our share to help preserve the breed. They're a wonderful chicken. At least Abby is!
Baby Abby

All grown up!

Abby is beautiful!!!
big_smile.png
I can't wait to see Bean when she gets bigger! I can't be a breeder because I'm in town (no roo's here!), but I'm looking forward to enjoying the diversity of the different types we've brought home.
jumpy.gif

The Java's have a breeder's club - I'm part of it. There is also a Yahoo board connected. Most of those who rescued and re-found this breed still answer newbie's questions regularly.

Here's the link to the club:
http://www.javabreedersofamerica.com/

Tons of information and photos are at this site. Explains the re-emergence of the breed, who's breeding and selling, history, etc. I highly recommend joining the group!

Hope it helps!

My Black Javas came from Garfield Farm Museum (via Museum of Science and Industry's incubator exhibit). I returned the white Java chicks and the extra cockerals, as the blacks picked on the whites so much. They've been working on their breeding program extensively - and I believe are going to be offering chicks that are type standard at their Rare Breed show in May (they did last year, bring a brooder to bring 'em home in!). If you're anywhere near Illinois May 20th - you've GOT to come to the show. Lots of different rare breeds being shown and many offer critters for sale (or order). It's a great show.

I have one mottled java, and a chance to get some more, which I will be doing, I'm hoping to breed them. mine looked just like your bean as a baby, then was almost completely white with some black speckling, and as she's getting older, she's getting darker and darker. She's about 3.5 months old now and about half black and half white, but hasn't molted yet, my breeder told me she'll be alot darker after the first molt.

Mine is quite skittish and doesn't want to be handled a whole lot, but isn't aggressive at all and gets along well in a mixed flock.

I am just starting out here in Springfield, Oregon and ended up getting a mottled Java chick at the local Wilco feed store. Came home and found out how endangered they were, wish I'd gotten more! Here's a pick of "bean"

You know, there's been quite a few Mottled Javas available in Oregon feed stores lately, but most of them mature out to something fairly far from the breed standard. Every once in a while, I'll luck out and find some that pass muster to join my flock, but it's not often. Most of my stock came from a breeder up in Washington, and a few came from SE bloodlines. It's great to see that they're starting to catch attention though, even if they aren't always ideal!

You know, there's been quite a few Mottled Javas available in Oregon feed stores lately, but most of them mature out to something fairly far from the breed standard. Every once in a while, I'll luck out and find some that pass muster to join my flock, but it's not often. Most of my stock came from a breeder up in Washington, and a few came from SE bloodlines. It's great to see that they're starting to catch attention though, even if they aren't always ideal!
I have found some one that ships eggs and chicks and from what I under stand they are very good quality he is an APA judge and master breeder

I just found this old tread but I got a very old original strain of rare suppose to be gone Mottle Javas. A fellow brought me three females and two males about two to three years old from the old breeder Dr. Albert McGraw of Alabama. He died about 7 years ago or so and his son kept a few and a fellow got some from him about five years ago. He can no longer take care of them so he gave them to me to keep for him until he gets back from Afghanistan working as a contra tor. I will be sharing some of these latter this fall as I get a few hatched. They are laying very well right now with out even lights. I have the eggs in the incubator and will be taking orders for partners on this old line. Many tell me that the Mottle Javas that are out there came from him many years ago. Regardless this is a lost rare gene pool. If you are interested in joining me in trying to build up this old strain send me a personnel message. I need partners in this venture as I do not have the space or time to keep many. bob

Back
Top Bottom