Mottled Silkies?...Calling out for Silkie Experts.

Pics

Teresaann24

Songster
11 Years
Jul 29, 2008
Eastern, Kentucky
Is this possible? I have the chance to get my hands on some nice mottled Cochins. I would love to pair them with an extra silkie roo I have and see what I get. If I wanted to start a project to make some nice Mottled silkies what color of silkie should I breed the Mottled cochins with? Would the OS from these be consider F1? Then how should I go about picking the best ones to breed F2? and what should I breed them back to? Another silkie or what color? Thanks to all those Gene experts who answer!

Well, there are already a few out there (a VERY few), so you might try to get your hands on birds already under development. It has taken me quite a few years to get mottled that are back to type and silkied.

Quote:
pics ???
hide.gif

she is lovely...I have tried to get my hands on some eggs from a mottled silkie project someone had but sadly the bid went from $50 to $200 no way I can pay that or alot of people. So I am going to start my own project its gonna take along time and many years but I love this breed and love the mottled color so I plan on working hard on them and selling eggs for WAY cheaper.

So let me ask something and tell me if I got this right...

To get what I am striving for...I need to...

Breed:

Mottled cochin + Black silkie= Mottled cochin silkie cross<---(Having normal feathering but carrying the silkie feather gene and mottled gene?

Take Mottled cochin silkie crosses + black silkie= (silkie feathered? +Mottled?)Being F2?

Take F2 Os+Black silkie=Mottled silkies? Making them F3? Am I correct?

Sorry my I am awful at Genetics.

here is what i would do --- but this is just me

-mottled roo + black/blue silkie = a bird with hard feathers and 1 copy of mottling ( F1 a )...
mottled roo + black/blue silkie hen = a bird with hard feathers and 1 copy of mottling ( F1 b )
--then take a F1 a and breed it to a F1 b = some mottleds and some solids .. some might even ba silkied
hu.gif
( not sure bout that )
---then take 1 bird ( silkied if u get 1 )from the above breeding and breed it to a blue/black silkie = some straight featherd and silkie featherd birds .. but no mottling
----breed 2 silkie birds from the above breeding and breed togeather = then u should have a mottled silkie .. then the hard part comes in .... breeding for type
th.gif
BUT U HAVE TO CE VERY CAREFULL NOT TO INBREED ..... THATS Y THERE WAS 2 BREEDING TO START WITH

@ Sonoran Silkies--- does this sound good ?? how did u do ur project ??

* IF U USE THE BLUE SILKIE U COULD GET BLACK AND BLUE MOTTLED SILKIES OR U COULD USE A BLUE MOTTLED COCHIN ,, BUT U WOULD NOT WANT TO BREED A BLUE MOTTLED TO A BLUE .. LATER DOWN THE ROAD U WONT BE ABLE TO TELL IF ALL UR CHICK R MOTTLED OR NOT

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom