Mountain Lion sighting in Norco, not a joke.

onthespot

Deluxe Dozens
11 Years
Mar 29, 2008
Riverside/Norco, CA
Copied and pasted this from craigslist. Secure your babies!

Two different reports in same neighborhood (Norco Bluffs).... one Tuesday during the day in someone's yard... then this morning at 3AM when my neighbor caught one eating her chicken. She tried to scare it off, but he stood ground (very dangerous). Norco animal control states they've received several calls, but when they come out it's gone. Watch your small pets!

sounds to me like someone's pet got loose if it is standing its ground.

Quote:
YIKES!!!
ep.gif
Or either they let it go due to the feed bill for that type of pet.

A mountain lion attacked a couple of horses in the Ramona area when I still lived that way. They get hungry and their only meal is someones pet.

There were dairy's in that area, and when a cow died they'd just dump the body over the fence and feed the lions - wrong as it encouraged the lions closer and closer, but I guess to some degree it helped keep the lions from eating pets in that area.
idunno.gif

About the mountain lion in Norco- I don't think a lot of Southern Californians have any idea how many mountain lions there are around here. It is rare to actually see one, and they are not really known to be a major source of pet/livestock animal losses. Usually what people call a mountain lion is later identified as a bobcat. Bobcat are a major predator of livestock and pets when given the opprtunity. I would remain a bit skeptical about the animal being a mountain lion and very careful about attributing killings to the mountain lion. It may actually be a bobcat. We had a Lion terrorize our neighborhood in San Diego for a while, and everyone (dozens of people) swore it was a mountain lion. Well, it wasn't- it was a bobcat. Pretty funny. I don't mean that I don't think this was a mountain lion - they are everywhere. Where I live is densely populated and urban and I have seen a mountain lion, neighbors have seen then, been at the university 4 miles from here, etc. I just wanted to comment that the mountain lions often get a bad rap over bobcat activity. Also, a bobcat can be agressive and will guard its prey. Mountain lions usually (not always) are timid and will run away when startled.

I lived in Riverside for almost 30 years (graduated from Norte Vista) and went into Norco many, many times. It doesn't surprise me in the least that there's a mountain lion venturing into the yards for food. Although I'd be startled to come across one myself.

If it was eating a chicken then of course it stood it's ground....cats do not back off from a kill. However, I think the culprit was most likely a bobcat not a mountain lion. Them going after a chicken is highly unlikely unless it is sitting outside during the dark hours. I have one that comes through my yard daily...every morning and every night. It has never tried to go after a chicken but they are only out during the daytime....Cougars are noturnal they hunt and etc from dusk to dawn, they den up and sleep during the day. There are exceptions but few. I am less than 10 miles from the Cali border in Southern Oregon, I am surprised they are making a big deal out of seeing one...they are all over northern california.

Keep small pets and etc inside after dusk and you should have little problems...lions are not going to break into your coop if it is secure because they hate confined spaces and rarely risk injury.

Here is a pic of the lion lounging in a tree near my coop one night

Cougar1.jpg

Cougar2.jpg

Last edited:
Lived in Norco, early 80's, 3901 Vine St. Property opened into the Prado river basin and we would ride our horses down there all the time. Ran into bobcats several times and one mountain lion and i do no the differance.

Back
Top Bottom