Moving 10 weeks chicks in with other hens too early or not?

Jennifer A

Chirping
Jul 30, 2015
I have 10 week old chicks and would like to move them in with my hens due to space issues. I know they're not supposed to have laying pellets but how big of a problem would it be with them at this age?

Don't let anyone scare you.... it is perfectly fine to put them out now. I bought 25 chicks. after 4 weeks of them being in my house i got tired of it and threw them all in the covered chicken run. They (all but 3) grew up great! In fact. They will love it outside. Its their natural environment!

Jennifer A,

10 weeks is a little early. Most people would recommend integrating them sometime between 16-18 weeks. This is because at these ages the hens are physically bigger and with stronger immune systems.

Before I start bombarding you with loads of advice, can I ask if this the first time that you have integrated one group of hens with another?

Keep us informed...

Do it as young as possible, the hens will see them as someone's children and will mostly leave them alone, I have a pen where I put them for about a week so everyone can get a look at them, then I let them go, never had any problems. If you wait until they are older they become intruders and competition. Switch everyone over to a grower or all flock with oyster shells on the side, until most of your new ones are laying. They will hang in their own group which is normal.

Do it as young as possible, the hens will see them as someone's children and will mostly leave them alone, I have a pen where I put them for about a week so everyone can get a look at them, then I let them go, never had any problems. If you wait until they are older they become intruders and competition. Switch everyone over to a grower or all flock with oyster shells on the side, until most of your new ones are laying. They will hang in their own group which is normal.
agree

Back
Top Bottom