moving a broody hen (pictures requested)

mgharris30

Songster
Apr 27, 2021
East Texas
My broody hen won't stay put. I would love to let her hatch eggs, but she keeps moving. She seems to want to sit on everything but what I want her to sit on, including fake eggs :barnie

Will moving her break her broody? When I was trying to break brood in the past, I moved them for a couple of days and they went back to normal. What kind of set up should I move her to? Should she still be able to see the rest of the flock? Will I have to reintegrate?

I've had chickens for almost a year. This is our first try hatching. I've also got some in an incubator-- Offically, I want to compare growth of broody vs incubator, but lets be real-- this is chicken math. :gig

Do you have another hen that would prefer to brood? They differ from breed to breed and among individuals. There's no forcing one. In my limited experience (a neighbor tried it), chickens break brood when moved.

Move her at nighttime to a private area, which can still be within the wider run area. I use plastic dog kennels that I attach a plastic mesh panel to shut the hen inside while I convince her she wants to stay there. I have to force her out a couple times a day as I don't put food or water in there with her. It's best if she has no choice but to go back into that kennel on her own by closing coop doors etc. After about 3 days she stays put and I can leave the door open. I use plastic mesh fence to seperate her from other hens once hatching is close. Sometimes a broody will refuse the transfer, and stop being broody. DO make sure you move her at nighttime though or she will pitch a fit.

20220330_162447.jpg

Broody kennel after hatch, I do have water in there now. See the mesh I use as a door/chick ramp.

My broody hen won't stay put. I would love to let her hatch eggs, but she keeps moving. She seems to want to sit on everything but what I want her to sit on, including fake eggs :barnie

Will moving her break her broody? When I was trying to break brood in the past, I moved them for a couple of days and they went back to normal. What kind of set up should I move her to? Should she still be able to see the rest of the flock? Will I have to reintegrate?

I've had chickens for almost a year. This is our first try hatching. I've also got some in an incubator-- Offically, I want to compare growth of broody vs incubator, but lets be real-- this is chicken math. :gig
Also I have only ever had one hen break brood when being moved and that was my inexperience. I moved her in the day time and far away from her preferred nest. Also use fake eggs until she is happily sitting in her new spot!

Back
Top Bottom