Moving a broody silkie - possble?

buttersbrood

Chirping
Oct 5, 2021
Aotearoa New Zealand
Hi!
Our silkie is broody - but has made her nest in an unsafe spot that's also not dry when it rains. We've ordered fertile eggs for her, they'll arrive in a day or two. She-s been broody for maybe 3 days. I have a small mobile coop. If I put it next to her, and put her and the fake eggs she is currently sitting on, in that coop at night, will it work? I really don't want to break her brood so she'll sit on the fertile eggs... the coop will have the same view (as it's in the same spot) as she has now.

Also, I'm putting araucana eggs under her. Is 6 okay or too many?

Thanks so much!

Hi!
Our silkie is broody - but has made her nest in an unsafe spot that's also not dry when it rains. We've ordered fertile eggs for her, they'll arrive in a day or two. She-s been broody for maybe 3 days. I have a small mobile coop. If I put it next to her, and put her and the fake eggs she is currently sitting on, in that coop at night, will it work? I really don't want to break her brood so she'll sit on the fertile eggs... the coop will have the same view (as it's in the same spot) as she has now.

Also, I'm putting araucana eggs under her. Is 6 okay or too many?

Thanks so much!
I'd say to move her at night while she's sleeping, around 10 pm. You want to move the broody hen to a nest as similar as possible to the one she has. Also, 6 might be a bit too much but if it keeps her from moving I'd say it's good. Just make sure to put the eggs in with her in the new spot.

I'd say to move her at night while she's sleeping, around 10 pm. You want to move the broody hen to a nest as similar as possible to the one she has. Also, 6 might be a bit too much but if it keeps her from moving I'd say it's good. Just make sure to put the eggs in with her in the new spot.
I agree, that is one of the best ways to make sure she gets settled in nicely and hopefully stays broody!

Okay, thanks so much. I'll move her tonight. Font have the fertile eggs yet. I might just put 4 or 5 under her then if you think 6 is too many?

Thanks so much!
I'd say you can leave her with the six eggs and check on her later. If she has eggs that aren't getting proper warmth remove them.

I usually give my silkies 3 or 4 eggs I’ve tried 6 and found eggs outside the nest and uncovered. I’ve also moved broody silkies anytime during the day to a new nest because once mine decide they’re sitting that’s it you can either give them a egg or don’t expect them to get up for a while. It’s a love hate relationship with silkies I love they wanna sit and I hate the times they decide they want to lol.

I know what you mean @cmobley !! We have all.sorts of chickens, but this silkie is the hardest to stop being broody. She's impossible actually! Hence we've decided to give her some eggs now. 🥚 she's worn us thin and we've finally given in 🤣

Maybe I could try moving her today, as it's going to rain. Worth a shot.

I'll wait for the araucana eggs to arrive so I can see their size - it can vary a bit with araucanas. If they're small, I'll try all 6. If they're bigger than I thought, I'll try 4 or so.

Thanks everyone!

Back
Top Bottom