Moving chicken back outside in cold weather & reintegration

Iluveggers

Crossing the Road
Jun 27, 2021
NYS
One of my hens was limping around for a few days. We suspected bumblefoot or some sort of injury. She looks great otherwise, just wasn’t putting weight on her left foot.

Brought her inside yesterday in the mudroom, to keep her from moving, clean the foot and get a good look at it, and put her in a dog crate to limit her movement to see if her leg gets better.

After soaking in warm epsom salt water and cleaning the foot, there is one small puffy part where her toe meets the foot but no black spot. Because the temp outside was going to be -15, my aunt decided to keep her in until it warms up a bit, and I will help soak her foot a few times a day. The mudroom she is in is about 40. Saturday afternoon is getting up into the 20s.

Will it be ok to move her back out at that temp? It will be back in thr negatives on Sun. Or we can wait til Tues (low of 16, high in the 30s). I preferred leaving her in the crate in the coop, but i was at work when she was moved and when I got to the farm it was already very cold and didn’t want to risk moving her back out.

She appears otherwise healthy, eating and drinking, normal poo. I did give her some warm wet mash aftet her foot treatment. She was not happy when we put her back in the crate.

Othet thoughts on reintegration? Thanks so much.

Back
Top Bottom