Walkbarefoot

Chirping
Apr 19, 2018
Niwot, Colorado
Hello,

We are having quite a stretch of 90+ degree weather here in Colorado. I have just completed the finishing touches on our coop and am ready to introduce the chickens to it. I have 10 (9 week old) chicks. I have a 5x6 coop with 2 windows 7 vents 1 screen door... I am under the impression that I have to lock them in the coop for 2 - 3 days before introducing them to their run. Due to this hot weather I am a little nervous about leaving them in the coop... The coop itself is pressing 90 degrees during the day, without the heat of the chickens in there. I feel like I should wait until we get a break in the weather before I introduce them to the coop, but there is no end in sight....
This is my first flock...

Thoughts?

Thank you

Chicken can suffer badly from heat stroke. Is it a walk in coop? If so, test it out in the hottest part of the day. Our coop is actually cooler than outside, but if yours feels hotter, I wouldn’t lock them in there.
I see on your avatar you have a run. It probably wouldn’t hurt to put them in there with lots of food and water around that they can easily find (since their new to the pen & run), and then herd them, or catch them and put them into the pen before dark. They will likely explore the coop during the day anyway, and should eventually start going in the coop on their own at night.

Some good ways to cope with hot weather are freezing bottles and putting them in their water dishes, freezing treats, providing plenty of shade in the run (trees, shade sails), and using misters.

Where have you been keeping them? If in the air conditioned house then you can try gradually acclimating them to the heat.
I second shade in your run, my flock doesn't like misters but mud puddles are a different story.
Ventilation for your coop is key, the #1 thing that will help cool things off. If you have windows and can open for a cross draft that's a huge help.
I agree you can introduce to the run and a light in the coop will draw them there at dusk so no herding. In theory and most of the time in practice.

Good luck!

We are also having a stretch of 90 degree weather here in North Carolina and this weekend we are going to cut a window into our coop and keep it covered with predator proof screening. Then we’ll cover it up in the winter (which doesn’t start until mid December down here). Ventilation is key and so is the size of your coop.

Where have you been keeping them? If in the air conditioned house then you can try gradually acclimating them to the heat.
I second shade in your run, my flock doesn't like misters but mud puddles are a different story.
Ventilation for your coop is key, the #1 thing that will help cool things off. If you have windows and can open for a cross draft that's a huge help.
I agree you can introduce to the run and a light in the coop will draw them there at dusk so no herding. In theory and most of the time in practice.

Good luck!
Chicken can suffer badly from heat stroke. Is it a walk in coop? If so, test it out in the hottest part of the day. Our coop is actually cooler than outside, but if yours feels hotter, I wouldn’t lock them in there.
I see on your avatar you have a run. It probably wouldn’t hurt to put them in there with lots of food and water around that they can easily find (since their new to the pen & run), and then herd them, or catch them and put them into the pen before dark. They will likely explore the coop during the day anyway, and should eventually start going in the coop on their own at night.

Some good ways to cope with hot weather are freezing bottles and putting them in their water dishes, freezing treats, providing plenty of shade in the run (trees, shade sails), and using misters.

I have attached some photos of the coop. It is walk in.. There is a 4 foot tall door... Windows (that open) on the west side, I just added 3 floor vents in the walls of the East side to allow cross ventilation. We also added 2 soffit vents on the north and south side for added ventilation. I was planning on building a screen door this weekend so I can open up the big door and allow the wind to go through during the day. The chicken door would also be open which would allow for north south cross ventilation.

The coop itself is completely hardware cloth covered. Then we added corrugated roof. The roof provides a LOT of shade. It is cooler in the coop than outside. I have 2 thermometers in the coop trying to figure out the actual temp in there during the day, of course they are not giving me the same reading for some reason... One has been sticking around 90 the other at about 88. We are really cooling down at night, which will help keep the coop cooler at night. I think we are in the low 50s at night, 60 some nights... I am able to leave all the windows and vents open in the evening. I will PROBABLY close the "screen door" into the coop though.

I was planning on adding an outdoor fan to the run... I will have LOTS of cold water and such out there for them.

Thank you for all your advice!!

Attachments

• IMG_0364.jpg
    IMG_0364.jpg
    492.4 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_1251 2.jpg
    IMG_1251 2.jpg
    433.3 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_1860 2.jpg
    IMG_1860 2.jpg
    929.3 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0193.jpg
    IMG_0193.jpg
    520.6 KB · Views: 15

Good luck!

I have been keeping them in my garage, I have gotten the temp of the garage up to 80+ degrees by opening all the doors when I am around during the day.

I do have ventilation... I think you can see the long response and photos that I have just posted. Thank you!!!!

Thank you! Scary being a first timer! :)

Yea, I was a bit intimidated too but the people here are really helpful and have tons of experience. You have a good support system and you're having a good start. By this time next year you'll be looking back wondering what you were worried about. :thumbsup

I have to ask, are you a barefooter?

Back
Top Bottom