Moving chicks from brooder to coop! A quick question.

I'm stressed about the predators! I didn't realize how many hawks we have on our property until I ordered the chicks. I was shocked!

We're being very thorough with our run enclosure, which is why it's taking so long to get it up, combined with all the rain.

I'm expecting a few sleepless nights after we move them out. What did you do for predator proofing at the ground level? Did you go with hardware cloth floors or burying cloth or cinder blocks a foot deep? Or something else? We're bouncing back and forth between the two.

-Maren

I'm stressed about the predators! I didn't realize how many hawks we have on our property until I ordered the chicks. I was shocked!

We're being very thorough with our run enclosure, which is why it's taking so long to get it up, combined with all the rain.

I'm expecting a few sleepless nights after we move them out. What did you do for predator proofing at the ground level? Did you go with hardware cloth floors or burying cloth or cinder blocks a foot deep? Or something else? We're bouncing back and forth between the two.

-Maren

I buried the hardware cloth about a foot under the run with it kind of curling out away from the run. I say a foot... but our ground is so hard in some places it was less.

Once you feel like the run is secure, it's so mild where you live you wouldn't really need to close the pop door at night. We usually do, but it's for our peace of mind, they don't really need it. It gets so hot in the summer you'll probably want to create more shade. We bought some material at the garden store that we hang off the sides of our run when it's hot just to give them extra shade, it's basically like an outdoor drape that I pull down when it's hot but flip up on the roof when it isn't.

You have a covered roof for the run so hawks won't be able to swoop down on them. I think your coop/run is a nice setup... I don't see the problems others do. Secure it and you should be fine.

Ours free range most of the day when I'm home. I have a backyard office and between me and the dogs we kind of keep track of them. If they sense some sort of danger they'll let you know. Can't remember if you have a rooster... if you do he will definitely let you know if he thinks there's a problem. :)

Thanks Mclanea. I think we'll bury the hardware cloth.

Your encouragement is great, I was starting to get nervous about my coop. If it's really not working we'll build our own this summer.

Having some experience will really help you in building a coop but you might want do some reading also. This first link takes you to the top of the coop construction section on this forum. There is some good information in there.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/206328/byc-coop-section-helpful-thread-index

While your winters are pretty mild your summers can be really hot. Hot is a lot more dangerous than cold to chickens. This ventilation article is pointed more toward cold climates than hot, it’s probably still a good read for you. But I’m mainly including it for the companion “muddy run” article. Wet runs or coops will probably stink after a few days and are unhealthy. The best time to fix a muddy run or a wet coop is before you build it, in the design phase. Do not locate them in a low spot where water drains to them or stands once it gets there. That’s one huge mistake often made.

Pat’s Big Ol' Ventilation Page
https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=1642-VENTILATION

Pat’s Big Ol' Mud Page (fixing muddy runs):
https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=1642-fix-a-muddy-run

I also suggest you follow the link in my signature. I don’t give you hard and fast square feet per chicken or things like that. It’s more of things to think about when deciding what you want to build. Some of that won’t apply to you, but some will.

A couple of other things. When you are setting all of this up, think of your comfort and convenience. You want this to be a pleasant experience, not a chore you dread.

In my opinion one of the hardest things for people new to chickens is all the conflicting advice and suggestions they get on this forum. With chickens there is hardly ever any one way that is right where every other way is wrong. We keep them in so many different climates and conditions and for so many different reasons that what works for one might not work for another. Even if we have the same goals and conditions, different things work. If anyone tells you if you don’t do things their way civilization as we know it will end, get a second opinion. It’s not always easy to determine, but when you see comments of suggestions try to determine if they actually apply in your situation.

Good luck. It can be a great adventure.

Hi! I just wanted to say, we have that same coop. My husband could not have built the same thing for the cost, but we both agree it will probably not make it a couple years. I too am new to being a chicken keeper, so I am learning as I go! I'm also in CA (Bay Area) and I think it will be fine as it is enclosed in our run, but hopefully we will design and my husband will build something new in a few years. I'd love to know if you made modifications and what they were!

Elizabeth

Hi Elizabeth. We like the coop as a first go. My husband and I picked it for price as well.

We enclosed the bungalow in a 10ft by 12ft run. Our chickens love it and we will be integrating a couple more chickens in a few weeks.

We are already planning our new coop. I learned a lot from the bungalow. My husband ended up affixing one of the roost bars higher up, perpendicular to the originals, near the sliding windows and our three gals love it. We haven't had trouble with the girls sleeping in the nest boxes since we lifted the roost.

Since the bungalow is covered inside our run we'd be keeping it if we weren't adding two more chickens. It's held up great and it is a perfect size for our three girls. Our americauna is a little large for a layer and the buckeye is 7lbs so it's a little cramped. We're adding another americauna/Easter egged and a buff Orpington. If it weren't for the Buckeye and the Orpington I'm sure the bungalow would fit all 5 girls.

I hope the bungalow serves you well!!

Last edited:
Hi Maren,

Thanks for your response! We also enclosed ours in a run, and raised it up, with the nesting box out of the side of the run. I would like more height IN the coop, so we may take the roof off and make it taller. I don't like that the nesting boxes are at the same level as the roosts. And I'm running into some issues with cleaning the tray because it's so heavy with the sand I use. I need a support underneath it when I pull it out. Haha! So many reasons to just design my own!

Anyway, thanks for the pictures! :)

Elizabeth

Back
Top Bottom