Moving chicks outside... To cold?

Lemon-Drop

Let Your Light Shine ~ Matthew 5:16 🤍✝️
Mar 5, 2021
Western Washington
My Coop
My Coop
Hey there! Next week, (In about 8 days) I’m hoping to move my chicks outdoors. It’s going to be fairly chilly, low of 30-40 degrees, high of 60, but I really need to have them out soon. I’m going on a trip at the end of April and want them to be fully integrated with the flock. They are currently 4.5 weeks, they will be 5.5 weeks when I plan to move them. There are 7 chicks, although it might be 6 as one seems to be a cockerel and we can’t keep roosters. Should we put them in the coop at night with the big girls, or will they be better by themselves? I’m guessing the coop is warmer (and less drafty) then their mostly open air chicken tractor. They are currently in the garage, it’s about 50 degrees, but they have a heat lamp so it’s more like 65-75 Degrees.

Anyway, my questions are

1. Will it be to cold?

2. Any tips for keeping them warm, without a heat lamp?

Thanks in advance!

They are currently in the garage, it’s about 50 degrees, but they have a heat lamp so it’s more like 65-75 Degrees.

I would take away the heat while they are still in the garage, and let them have a few nights to adjust before moving them outside. (You could put them outside in the daytime on those days, and bring them in for the night.)

The other option is to move the heat outside when you move the chicks outside (I see that was already suggested.)

Of course pay attention to the chicks' behavior, to make sure they are not too cold.
It is normal for them to huddle and peep when you put them somewhere new and scary (like outdoors), but if they keep huddling and peeping for more than about 15-30 minutes, they need more heat.

I would take away the heat while they are still in the garage, and let them have a few nights to adjust before moving them outside. (You could put them outside in the daytime on those days, and bring them in for the night.)

The other option is to move the heat outside when you move the chicks outside (I see that was already suggested.)

Of course pay attention to the chicks' behavior, to make sure they are not too cold.
It is normal for them to huddle and peep when you put them somewhere new and scary (like outdoors), but if they keep huddling and peeping for more than about 15-30 minutes, they need more heat.
Ok, thank you! On warm days, I like to put them outside, so they’re a little used to the outdoors. I will probably try moving their heat source back a few inches each day in the garage until they don’t need it any more.

I will probably try moving their heat source back a few inches each day in the garage until they don’t need it any more.

I would just turn it off and watch for half an hour. If they do not need it, you save a lot of time and fussing. If they do need it, you plug it back in and gradually move it away over the next few days and weeks.

Back
Top Bottom