Moving chicks to the new coop.

jackandkaren

Chirping
7 Years
Apr 15, 2016
Here are my chicks exploring their new coop! They are 4 weeks and 1 day old. It is a nice warm day and I have a heat lamp inside the house in case they get cold. I was planning on moving them out full time next week. The weather is supposed to be 75-80 during the day and 50's at night. I will keep the heat lamp out there for a while. Am I moving them too soon? I'm totally new at this.

I'm new too, so take this with a grain of salt, but I think you'll be fine. Mine are just at a month old and have been in a 8x6x3 brooder (pretty open, in other words) in the barn for approximately a week or a bit more. Temps are similar to yours (though the last couple days have been rain and pretty cool). I've a heat lamp set up too, but when I check them over 1/2 are usually on roosts away from the lamp. They are thriving. I wouldn't worry too much if I were you.

Yeah, this is the age/temp that I still wonder about. Our weather is about the same, and I have some similar aged chicks. Almost moved them yesterday, but a rainy cold front hit last night, so I'm waiting a couple more days. BUT, I don't have a lamp in the coop. With a lamp out there, I think they'll be fine. I have mine in the barn with no lamp right now, but in a "brooder". (old water tank)

Back
Top Bottom