moving eggs from bator to hen????

chickengal

In the Brooder
10 Years
Mar 21, 2009
Can you move eggs from an incubator to under a hen that is setting? I just realized today that I have a hen that I think has gone broody and I would love to move some of my eggs from my incubator to under my hen.
hmm.png

You can though if you're not positive that she is broody it can be risky. It also seems to work better if the hen has been broody awhile or if the eggs aren't very far along--it can freak them out if the eggs start hatching after only a few days of sitting.

If you're sure she's broody and sitting tight just give her the eggs sometime after dark. She'll probably coo at them and tuck them under her body.

I am new to raising chickens. She has been in the nesting box all day. She is a one year old Auracana and has never done this before. If I don't put eggs under her will she lay eggs herself and set on them? I just set my silkie, millie flur, seabright, and surama eggs on Friday. Should I wait a few more days and then move the eggs? Can I put bantam eggs under a Auracana and how many should I move? I just thought it would be fun to watch her take care of the chicks. I will keep some of the eggs in the bator.

If she's broody she probably won't lay anymore eggs. Sometimes they'll keep laying for a little while, but that is rare. You can put whatever eggs you want to under her, though if you do waterfowl eggs she'll freak the first time the youngsters try to go swimming.
wink.png

I'd say no more then a dozen chicken eggs, maybe 15 if you do bantams and 4-8 duck, turkey or goose eggs. If she's only been in the nest for a day or so you could give her some fake eggs and see how she does, then switch them out for fertile eggs in a few days.

If she's broody you should see a huge stinking pile of poo in the next day or so. They usually only get of then nest every day or two and grab a quick bite to eat, a drink of water, and poo. Since they hold if for so long it's huge and stinky--A sure sign that you have a broody hen.

I've noticed that my girls seem to have a little warm-up period, meaning they'll act broody but be not quite ready to go into the true broody trance for a few days to a week before they really hit it hard.

If they spend more than one night in a row in the nest box, i figure they're in it for real.
wink.png

I have two hens and one nesting box. It now seems like my cochin hen is wanted to get in too. Should I take out the other hen? They traded places once when the Arucana got out. I will watch them for a few days.

Back
Top Bottom