moving eggs on 7th day in incubator

A 2 1/2 hour drive will likely addle the eggs so I will go out on a limb and predict a perfect 100% failure rate. 

Sorry but this is how I see it, good luck any way.

Forced air incubators usually need a constant source of humidity because they are not a closed r system like the smaller still air incubators are.

With good young healthy brood stock, hard work, and a little luck, a   5% hatch rate is almost assured with the incubator that you've chosen.

The eggs already hatched Monday 13 eggs out of 17 . Chicks are doing great.

A 2 1/2 hour drive will likely addle the eggs so I will go out on a limb and predict a perfect 100% failure rate.

Sorry but this is how I see it, good luck any way.

Forced air incubators usually need a constant source of humidity because they are not a closed r system like the smaller still air incubators are.

With good young healthy brood stock, hard work, and a little luck, a 5% hatch rate is almost assured with the incubator that you've chosen.
Chickengeorgeto, did you not see post #6 above before you posted this----13 of the 17 eggs hatched after transporting them for 2 1/2 hours. Thats a 75+% hatch rate----pretty good won't you say??

How is a still air incubator a "closed system" when it has vent holes in it? Thanks

Chickengeorgeto, did you not see post #6 above before you posted this----13 of the 17 eggs hatched after transporting them for 2 1/2 hours. Thats a 75+% hatch rate----pretty good won't you say??

How is a still air incubator a "closed system" when it has vent holes in it? Thanks
Yes it is, especially considering the circumstances.

It is a closed system because in a still air incubator there is less circulation or exchange of air between the incubator and the environment. As previously posted someone advised to purchase the 5 gallon water reservoir and internal tank because the incubator in question can really go through the H2O. That is also my experience.

It is a closed system because in a still air incubator there is less circulation or exchange of air between the incubator and the environment.
I like Learning new things, but I want facts----according to the definition on a "closed system"---means no in or out---in this case no air in or out. I know in these styrofoam incubators that hot air rises, and some exits out the top vent holes which draws some fresh air in the bottom holes. Even your own words you said " less circulation or exchange of air" again How is that a closed system when there is "some" exchange? Thanks

I bought the 5 gallon bucket, float tray etc for my incubator, But I have no desire to hook it up. I am thinking Out of Sight Out of Mind---I like having to check mine every day!

I have been looking and researching homemade incubator post. Trying to get ideas on building a hatcher to go with my 1502 & 1202. Didn't you build yours?

I have been looking and researching homemade incubator post. Trying to get ideas on building a hatcher to go with my 1502 & 1202. Didn't you build yours?
Yes I did. It looks just like the GQF 1550. Try here to add a picture. Also a picture of my home-made incubator. (Note, the dehumidifier to the right has nothing to do with hatching---I had just bought it to re-sale----just sitting in my shop)

Last edited:
Yes I did. It looks just like the GQF 1550. Try here to add a picture. Also a picture of my home-made incubator. (Note, the dehumidifier to the right has nothing to do with hatching---I had just bought it to re-sale----just sitting in my shop)
What did you use for thermostat? Do you like the two smaller fans better than 6" metal fan? Thanks for the pictures they look really good.

What did you use for thermostat? Do you like the two smaller fans better than 6" metal fan? Thanks for the pictures they look really good.
I used a digital/electronic in the incubator and I used a wafer in the hatcher.

As far as fans---I used what I had on hand. For both the incubator and the hatcher I had everything except for the heat coils and the thermostats. The Plywood was free for both, the red metal I made the trays out of in the hatcher I have had for years. The aluminum metal I made the turning racks, tray supports, etc with was free---it was flat I just had to bend them into angle. I even had the plexiglass in the doors I bought 30 pieces at a auction for $2(1 piece made the glass for both doors)---I am Cheap---LOL.

OOPS, I did have to buy the hinges, latches and some screws!

Last edited:
I used a digital/electronic in the incubator and I used a wafer in the hatcher.
What kind of digital thermostat did you use. I have ordered a pid controller for my 1202 going to play with it to see how I like it. If I like it I might use one in my hatcher build. The cost for everything was about 80.00.

As far as fans---I used what I had on hand. For both the incubator and the hatcher I had everything except for the heat coils and the thermostats. The Plywood was free for both, the red metal I made the trays out of in the hatcher I have had for years. The aluminum metal I made the turning racks, tray supports, etc with was free---it was flat I just had to bend them into angle. I even had the plexiglass in the doors I bought 30 pieces at a auction for $2(1 piece made the glass for both doors)---I am Cheap---LOL.

OOPS, I did have to buy the hinges, latches and some screws!

Back
Top Bottom