Moving new pullets

I have a different suggestion (this is what I do with my new pullets every year). Don't wait until it's dark, and don't put them in the big coop by carrying them through the human door. There are two things that need to happen here - the physical relocation of the pullets, and also teaching them how to do it themselves. The second part gets forgotten often, but is actually the more important part. If you wait until it's dark, they can't see what's happening. If you walk through the human door, which they don't have access to, they learn nothing. Instead, keep your small coop closed at all times, and wait until it starts getting dark but isn't fully dark yet. Until the main flock has already roosted, but there's still enough light to see. Then, grab each pullet, put her in through the pop door - where she should be going in herself - and close the pop door. Then grab the next one, open the pop door, put her in, close it (so the pullets already in don't try to come out). Do this until all of the pullets are in. They should be able to see in there because it's not fully dark yet, but the main flock is already on the roosts so less likely to come down and harass them. Make sure there are enough roosts for everybody, and that the pullets can roost somewhere out of reach of the older hens. You'll need to do this exercise for a couple of days, until eventually they learn that at dusk they need to go into the big coop, through the pop door. They will learn pretty quickly. The setup I have for this that really helps, is I have two pop doors - an automatic door on the inside, and a manual door on the outside. This is very very helpful when I want to close the coop for some reason, but don't want to mess with the programming on the auto door. Like in the case of training pullets. I can manually close the regular pop door after each pullet is in, and then keep it closed until the auto door engages and closes. Then I go back and open the manual door, so that the next morning the auto door can open at sunrise (and I can sleep in!) and the chickens can come out into the run, and not be stuck in the coop with the older ones harassing the pullets.
I appreciate your very informative response, but I am not physically able to catch them, I have balance issues, especially in low light.. I actually have two pop doors, my human door is a Dutch door, so I can close the top, and leave the bottom open…and I have a Run-Chicken door… I installed a separate roost area on the opposite wall of the coop ….should I place them there or on the other end of the existing roost bar.. they will be about 2 ft from the big girls on the existing roost bar

I appreciate your very informative response, but I am not physically able to catch them, I have balance issues, especially in low light.. I actually have two pop doors, my human door is a Dutch door, so I can close the top, and leave the bottom open…and I have a Run-Chicken door… I installed a separate roost area on the opposite wall of the coop ….should I place them there or on the other end of the existing roost bar.. they will be about 2 ft from the big girls on the existing roost bar
The opposite wall sounds like a safer place where they'll feel more comfortable and confident. 2 feet is nothing if it's the same roosting bar - one step and they're within striking distance of the hens, and the hens WILL try to peck them if they see them on their roost.

If they hover at the old coop, wait until dark and toss them in the big coop and close the door. Can you walk into the big coop and place them on the roosts?
Do you have a separate roost for the youngsters?
Yes I actually do have a separate roost for the youngsters, it is on the other wall across from the big girls! What’s crazy is… I have 3 pullets, one of them has decided about a week ago to join the older girls… I thought Yayyy, Roadrunner will show her flock mates where to go, BUT it didn’t happen.. 🤦‍♀️

Yes I actually do have a separate roost for the youngsters, it is on the other wall across from the big girls! What’s crazy is… I have 3 pullets, one of them has decided about a week ago to join the older girls… I thought Yayyy, Roadrunner will show her flock mates where to go, BUT it didn’t happen.. 🤦‍♀️
I had one like that last year, and one this year. One brave pullet from the bunch, who wants to insert herself among the big girls, but the rest are too chicken to follow :lol: Though they do follow eventually, they just need more time.

The opposite wall sounds like a safer place where they'll feel more comfortable and confident. 2 feet is nothing if it's the same roosting bar - one step and they're within striking distance of the hens, and the hens WILL try to peck them if they see them on their roost.
Actually my roost bar for the big girls is 6 Ft across, with currently 4 girls on it
The opposite wall sounds like a safer place where they'll feel more comfortable and confident. 2 feet is nothing if it's the same roosting bar - one step and they're within striking distance of the hens, and the hens WILL try to peck them if they see them on their roost

Back
Top Bottom