Moving the chickens from the garage to their new coop

JND3147

Hatching
5 Years
Apr 2, 2014
Salem Township, MI
Hello! This my first post,and more than likely the first of many to come. I am wondering what is the best way to introduce/move my flock to their new coop. I have 13 chickens, a mixed bag of breeds; black sex links, americaunas, a couple of "I'm not sure what they are's", and two jersey giant roosters. They have been in the garage since they were chicks. They are now 5 months old. The coop is 10' x 10', and they free range. Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I moved mine when they were just 8 weeks. Use a good treat, and they will follow. Mine learned right away how to use a ladder to get into the coop. The are smart animals, they will learn right away. But that's help kids. Also welcome. I'm new here too. I hope you enjoy your girls. They are fun.

Welcome to BYC.
At five months they are more then ready to move to the coop. If you have no other chickens already in the coop it is just a simple move them all at once. When you first move them keep them locked in the coop for a week to let them imprint on the coop as their home to go to at night.

Thanks Den. I had heard leaving them locked in for anything from 2 days to 2 weeks. 2 days seemed a little short, and 2 weeks seemed excessive. They're all in ow and so far egg production hasn't suffered. They are doing quite well and seem to be happy.

Jeff

Back
Top Bottom